2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my hot water heater is downstairs and it take forever to get hot water to the kitchen. i was looking at the 2.5 gallon under sink water heaters then noticed there's a tankless point of use water heater. does anybody have any advise or experience with either of these units and could make a recommendation? it seems like tankless would be the way to go.
thanks,
michelle

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
Both will require electrical wiring to be added under your sink, usually 220v. The tankless is better economically, as it only uses electricity to heat the water when you call for it. The tank heater will probably be considerably cheaper to buy than the tankless. I would recommend the tankless. Be sure that the unit is rated for single fixture use. They can be bought with different flow settings for single and multiple fixtures. A multiple won't come on/heat the water if installed on a single fixture. There is another option to install a circulating pump, but that is a long story. PM me if you want to discuss that option.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Michelle, I put one of these on the boat, and have been pleased with it. You don't need much capacity, just what the water line holds. Once the hot water from the big water heater gets to it, it will cycle off. It also runs off a standard 120VAC outlet, which you should already have in place.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. i was looking at the one mont suggested then noticed a small tankless for about the same price so was wondering if that was a good option as well. it required more electricity.
michelle

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
they also make that in a 4 gallon version. You really don't need a tankless for a booster. The expense of the additional wiring isn't cheap.

·
Fishing :you must be present to win.
2,161 Posts
you can prolly do the water connection out of flex connectors, the electrical you should be able to get from the dishwasher power, given that there is a dishwasher...

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
99% of the time, your dishwasher only gives 20 amps. anything more than that will cause your breaker to trip. let me know if you need any wiring done. it can be done. on a side note, when i was looking at those, they have whole house tankless. the one i needed required 80 amp wire. you have to weigh the options at that point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts