2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have been fishing out of my boat the past 2 months and now i think i want to try and wade fish some. Where would be the best place for me to go my 1st time and just drive up and begin fishing? Also what kind of equipment do i need to carry w/ me and should i go live bait or plastics??? I have also seen guys out there wading in shorts is that just crazy or do i need waders and ray guards? any input appreciated.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
Live or plastics? That's up to you. If you are confident with plastics or top waters, then that's a whole lot less hassle than tugging a bait bucket around.

Shorts are okay, just beware there are at times pesky jelly fish in the bays that will make you wish you had long pants on. I have some pants with a draw string and are made out of a material that is light and drys fast. I forget who makes them, but you can find them at Academy for around $40. They will offer some protection against things that go bump off your leg.

Ray guards. Again a personal choice. I don't wear them, but I try and shuffle my feet. Problem is we all get in a hurry at times and forget to shuffle or step off into a hole or something. It will catch up to me some day. Ray guards are good insurance, just one more thing to hassle with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks. what kind of plastics should i carry w/ me? and where to go for first time? i have some skitterwalks and i always see people at mosquito island to dollar point. is that a good area? i know that around mosquito theres that huge hole. is there anywhere thats good and different away from people

·
Registered
373 Posts
RayGuards are a MUST!!!! First time you see a barb sticking out of someones leg, you won't even take a shower again without them.

When I first started wade fishing, me and my buddy would walk out in a pair of soccer shorts and flip flops on top of shell. (things we did when we were younger). Would not suggest this to anyone.

I usually keep an extra pair of guards on the boat - just in case someone does not have a pair.

·
Registered
104 Posts
well i never have worn ray gaurds and also there is a hole near mosquitoisland more toward the levee but its inbetween anitas and the flood gate not ganna tell u exactly where butthats a goodd place to start but plastic i perfur try some pumpkin seed/green tail . my fav. space guppy.. try gettin some supper spooks and top dogs and she dogs somethin bout those skitter walks i just dont like but its up 2 you me i carry a pole a box for a few plastics and a belt with my stringer thats it i just started about 2 monthes ago and i like it alot but if u dont get ray guards then drag ur feet on the bottom so u dont get a barb in u

1 - 6 of 6 Posts