2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s just say the OAL made a big difference! Just so ya know, I’m using a 270win Browning A-bolt.

My first load to test was 57.5grs of RL19 using once fired Hornady brass and both 130gr Hornady InterBonds and Nosler Ballistic Tips. The result was 2, 3-shot groups measuring 3”-4”! Back to the drawing board. My first thing to deal with was the OAL. The first loads I made were pretty short, so I just reset my die to lengthen the cartridge and left the powder, powder charge, and bullets alone. So with the same recipe, but a much longer OAL (just over the printed max OAL in my Nosler manual) I shot a .69” group with the IB’s and a 1.42” group with the BT’s.

Of course, I tested the rounds for functioning in my rifle before getting to the range. In fact, the IB load fed into my chamber fine and wasn’t touching the lands at all, but when I tried to put all 3 shells in my magazine I discovered that the magazine was too short for the cartridge. So I got out my drill and shaved down the inside of the magazine till the cartridge fit.

I still have a lot of testing to do, but I was very happy with the big reduction in group size from day 1 to day 2.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey
Welcome to hand loanding,I've been handloading for over 30 years. Most inportant thing is to keep your mine on what your doing. I always turn all my shells to be loaded upside down.This keeps you from getting a double charge,if you have a single loader like I have.It's slower but it get's the job done.Have you tried the Hodgdon Powder site.They have some good loads for youths.You can load that 270 down and your wife or kid can shoot it. I've loaded down my 7mag.and my 14 year old girl killed 3 deer last year.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Be care full with extended OAL ammo. If you get the bullet seated out too far, where it is jammed against the start of the lands, your pressures can go sky high and blow a rifle. I like at least a .020" jump before the bullet engages the rifling. If the jump is too long, it can hurt your accuracy, but then you have already found that out.
Reloading is a fun hobby that demands close attention to detail to be safe. But then so does driving a car.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
Woodrow.....Gundoc is right, you don't want to go too far with the OAL. Welcome to the world of reloading. Sometimes you have to try many different combinations to find the right load. Sometimes you can just suffice with what you have, the choice is yours. Don't deviate from the data you get from the manuals and don't just depend on one manual, get several. Use the info cautiously as sometimes the manuals aren't always correct. I have sometimes used cannelured bullets and seated them at the cannelure and found that I have great accuracy there. Gotta try everything though just to find out what does work and what doesn't .........................Good Luck!

·
Registered
453 Posts
What they said and anytime you change something ALWAYS work up the load.

When you changed the oal imo you should have went back down on charge and worked up.

The oal has a great impact on pressure.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for so long in responding. Thanks for your thoughts guys, I appreciate it very much.

roger1shot, I've also got a single loader. I try to be as precise as I can with everything, and of course, be as careful as I can too. The process could be quickened, but I'm not interested in that...like you I'm sure, I want precision.

Gun Doc, the bullet is not not against the lands, I set my dies so that there would be space (as you mentioned) in between them and the bullet. I also enjoyed your other thread, good stuff.

CHunter, I feel that I am just scratching the surface in testing, I've got a lot of work to do...and looking forward to it. I've checked numerous manuals in order to varify my loads and they do vary some, so to err on the conservative side is where I'm looking to be.

Redfishr, the RL19 is listed in every non-powder bias manual I can find. Would it be my first choice when looking at data, no. But the guy who is walking me through all this gave me samples of it and some H4350 to start my testing with. Just going by data, I would have started with some sort of 4831, but the others were free!

I'll keep yall posted if you'd like.

Take Care.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
Woodrow.....sounds like you got a good head start. You'll enjoy the heck out of reloading. Let me know how you like the RL powders, I mainly use IMR and Winchester powders, I've been using them sooo long that I can't remember why.....lol. I load for so many different calibers that those 2 seem to be the most common.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts