2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1st Rod Question

962 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Andy Dear 
#1 ·
I am about to buy a kit off of one of the various sites mentioned in other beginning posts, but have a couple questions before I take the plunge. I'm pretty sure this will be an addicting habit for me since I am already tying flys, tinkering with lures and just about everything else, except building rods. This has been something I have wanted to do for the last couple years. Right now I'm just kind of torn as to whether or not I should buy a kit with a better blank or just start out with one of the cheaper kits. How hard is it to mess up a blank and how likely is it to happen the first go around? Also, I really would like to put recoil guides on it. Should this be something I do on the first build or should I hold off and have a couple under my belt first before dropping a bunch of coin in to something so unfamilar at the moment. Thanks for the help and I look forward to showing off some rods like eveyone else.

#2 ·
"Raw"
If it were my first rod, I'd forego the kit route altogether and put together a selection of quality componentry on my own. You'll end up with a much beter quality piece of equipment in the long run and not spend that much more. It sounds like you're pretty serious about learning to build rods, and I can almost certainly guarantee you a "kit flyrod" will not be of the same quality as if you purchased each individual component seperately. The key here is to take your time, and practice wrapping guides....don't permananetly adhere anything to the rod until you've practiced a number of times on scrap blanks. I would reccomend a pre-formed grip on your first rod, as trying to turn your own can be a daunting task for a first timer. As for guides, Recoils are great guides, and will last a lifetime of use. I have them on several Saltwater Flyods that have seen use in Texas, Louisiana, Fla. Keys, and they have "zero" rust on them and no sign of grooving. Lastly try to get in contact with a local builder who has some expierence behind him/her....you'll cut your learning curve in half.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions/comments, and welcome to the craft.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

#4 ·
welcome

Andy Dear said:
"Raw"
If it were my first rod, I'd forego the kit route altogether and put together a selection of quality componentry on my own. You'll end up with a much beter quality piece of equipment in the long run and not spend that much more. It sounds like you're pretty serious about learning to build rods, and I can almost certainly guarantee you a "kit flyrod" will not be of the same quality as if you purchased each individual component seperately. The key here is to take your time, and practice wrapping guides....don't permananetly adhere anything to the rod until you've practiced a number of times on scrap blanks. I would reccomend a pre-formed grip on your first rod, as trying to turn your own can be a daunting task for a first timer. As for guides, Recoils are great guides, and will last a lifetime of use. I have them on several Saltwater Flyods that have seen use in Texas, Louisiana, Fla. Keys, and they have "zero" rust on them and no sign of grooving. Lastly try to get in contact with a local builder who has some expierence behind him/her....you'll cut your learning curve in half.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions/comments, and welcome to the craft.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products
Welcome raw
and andy!! you are posting?? i can't believe it. good to see ya here.

#6 ·
Glad to see you here, Andy. I am sitting here staring at my new CTS 8 wt. blank that I could not wait to receive. I have had it for a couple of weeks and just can't get started. I thought about starting the handle yesterday and a friend and really good fly tier dropped by for a visit and brought me the two Borski DVD's to view. We spent four hours talking about fly fishing and tying. He gave me some great pointers. I thought about using the recoil guides on my new rod but haven't deceided on them or ceramics. I have tied several redfish sliders and will give you some on our next meet. Tim Borski makes some flies that are really easy to tie even for a novice. Novice? No, I really have a vice (my wife says several). Anyhow, glad to see you here.

#7 ·
So i guess the concensus is to buy the tools seperately. I kind of figured that would be the best route. I'm sure it has been pounded to death, but what types of tools will I need? About the only thing I have now that I'm pretty sure will work for rod builing is my flexcoat fly drier, just need to get the rod attachment. Other than that it's all new to me. I'm really looking to build a casting rod right now, something to throw light baits, small tops to DOA's. Can anyone recomend a moderately priced blank to do so? Also, what size guides? This is where it all starts to get a little confusing to me. Can I use pretty much any cork handle, do they come in all sizes as well? Thanks for all the help and patience.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I'm partial to the Rainshadow RX7 popping blanks IP842, 843, 844 for moderate price. I don't use a popping cork, but like the feel of these blanks for soft plastics and jr. tops. The 844 wil handle the super spooks and top dogs. If you haven't already, you ought to get Tom Kirkman's "Rodbuiling Guide"...good pics and explains the whole process. Your first rod will be a good one if you take your time, but your next one will be better. Welcome to our addiction. Jerry

#10 ·
Kirmkam's RodBuilding Guide will certainl keep you out of the bars for a while. I would also add, don't be afraid to ask questions even ones you think may be stupid. The internet, can be a great source of knowledge. There are a lot of good rodbuilders out there, and most are willing helpers. Feel free to email me should you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.