2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Live Like No One Else.
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Saturday to do a little spearfishing. We had a few changes in our plans and were not sure if we were even going to be able to go out so we decided to not hunt in the Waldo spearfishing tourument. We ended up going back to the West and stay in water less than 120' since we had a first time rig diver in the boat. Got to our first rig jumped in the water and the current was ripping. With a little help from the tie off rope we were able to get to the rig. Once down to about 20' the current was not near as bad. I got to see my first turtle underwater in the Gulf on this dive. Down in the murk there were some OK Red Snapper in the 10lbs range but I was having trouble seeing them long enough to get a shot. But I was able to shot one snapper and a small Yellowmouth Grouper.

Since there was a strong current we decide to more onto another rig but the one I was hoping to go to already had a boat tied off so we moved on a little farther. Once I notice that this was a rig I dove a few weeks ago and I saw a huge grouper on that dive I was kind of looking forward to diving that rig hoping she might still be there. I dropped down made my way around the rig but the huge grouper was nowhere to be seen. So I started hunting for snapper. When the other diver that was with us started pointing behind me. I looked and there was nothing there. So I turned back around and he was still pointing. So I looked again and there was a Ling. I swung my gun again squeezed the trigger and spear shot out of the gun and hit the Ling right behind the eye. And killed him "graveyard dead" without him even a wiggle. I ended up with another yellowmouth grouper and a small Red snapper. My computer went into deco on that dive and while I was waiting on my safety stop I hung my gun over my arm by the rubbers. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention and the gun came off my arm and I dropped it. And it was too late before I noticed it and I didn't even see it fall.

We had a few extra tanks we had gotten from a friend a few weeks ago cause he was going to go with us and he had not gotten back so we thankful had another tank for each of us to make another dive. So on the last dive the plan was for everyone to go to the bottom and make one pass out and hopefully find my gun. Everyone made pass and I even went out of the rig little farther thinking the current might have swipt it out passed the rig. But I still didn't find my gun. So I came up above the murk and started just looking at the rig leg as a normal dive. And after a few minutes I figured I might as well look for my gun since I was already on the bottom. I plan was to follow the bottom mudmat from one corner to the next then come up a little and then back down to the next. On my second place I see something lite color stiking out from under the horizontal. I swim down and it is the yellow butt pad I put on my gun that a few months ago that I got alot of smack about when I ordered it. But I am sure that if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have found my gun. So I big word of thanks goes out to Scott at Spearfishing Specialities for having the yellow butt pads. And I think after me finding my gun my dad might be also getting one for his gun. I didn't shoot any fish on that dive but atleast I found my gun.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
why? I'm new to speargunning and I think all new gunners would appreciate to know if you don't have to go by TP&W rules for spearing even if they were in federal waters. I haven't gone speargunning yet, and need to know what I can and can't shoot. If it was undersized I would hope fellow speargunners would hope to stop any illegal activity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
BP, I am not casually sharing this with you. We do not take kindly here to people questioning reports whether they are on the reports forum or any other forum. If you are "just curious" then feel free to pm the guy and share your concern.
Bug_Power said:
why? I'm new to speargunning and I think all new gunners would appreciate to know if you don't have to go by TP&W rules for spearing even if they were in federal waters. I haven't gone speargunning yet, and need to know what I can and can't shoot. If it was undersized I would hope fellow speargunners would hope to stop any illegal activity.
 

·
Live Like No One Else.
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ling in federal water only has to be 33" fork lenght. But that isn't a problem cause that one was 40" overall. The photo doesn't show the fish's true size. In the future I will try to put a ruler in the photos so you can see that it is legal or I maybe I will just not take my time to share photos. I also have the Federal reg. I can send you if you need a copy.

Thank you FishinChick, seem like there is always trying to rain on the parade.
 

·
Old School 2cool
Joined
·
8,271 Posts
Dont let them get ya down Bro! In the future I will try to paint him RED if it continues. Dont change a thing. Congratulations! That had to be an awesome experience. Tight lines, Guy

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

michaelbaranowski said:
Ling in federal water only has to be 33" fork lenght. But that isn't a problem cause that one was 40" overall. The photo doesn't show the fish's true size. In the future I will try to put a ruler in the photos so you can see that it is legal or I maybe I will just not take my time to share photos. I also have the Federal reg. I can send you if you need a copy.

Thank you FishinChick, seem like there is always trying to rain on the parade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
Here is the deal........ when your spearfishing you can only make an educated guess as to size, TPWD rules and regulations, safety, and so on. You have about 1.5 seconds to calculate all these factors and your mental processes are considerably slower at depth.

All that said, you do the best you can to excercise good judgement and sometimes those new to the sport sometimes make mistakes, but with experience they get better....as you will too I'm sure Rodney.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
michaelbaranowski said:
Ling in federal water only has to be 33" fork lenght. But that isn't a problem cause that one was 40" overall. The photo doesn't show the fish's true size. In the future I will try to put a ruler in the photos so you can see that it is legal or I maybe I will just not take my time to share photos. I also have the Federal reg. I can send you if you need a copy.

Thank you FishinChick, seem like there is always trying to rain on the parade.
Michael, the original post was intended to inform the rest of us new guys as to the regulations are in federal waters. I apologise if it looked differently. I was under the impression that questioning catches was ok in forums other then the reports forum. I was simply going by the fact that me, being a fairly broad shouldered guy at 20", didn't think the fish was 17" beyond his shoulders. If you look in my thread posted earlier in this forum, I'm new to the spearfishing sport and need to know what is legal game, and sizes. I was informed to look at TP&W for game fish. I think the way you answered it was exactly what I was looking for. You informed me that the fish was legal length just a decieveing picture, and then informed me of the legal sizes for a ling in federal water. I figured other new speargunners would benefit from this, and the information shared was great. Thank you Michael and I apologize once again.
FC, I apologize for coming off the handle. I was going by Mont's and your previous statements that if you felt something was illegal or why someone kept a certain fish, as long as it was in the reports section, that there was not a problem with it. In the future, I will not question anyone's catch reguardless of forum. I also apologize for questioning your moderating in the jungle.
I don't want to Hijack this thread any longer and once again apologize to all parties involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
michaelbaranowski said:
Ling in federal water only has to be 33" fork lenght. But that isn't a problem cause that one was 40" overall. The photo doesn't show the fish's true size. In the future I will try to put a ruler in the photos so you can see that it is legal or I maybe I will just not take my time to share photos. I also have the Federal reg. I can send you if you need a copy.

Thank you FishinChick, seem like there is always trying to rain on the parade.
Nice report Michael... And anyone can see the photograph angle will not be a very good representation of the size of your fish. You'll enjoy eating that one.

I do try to pick my ling a little bigger though... I did shoot one only 1/4" over legal one time and was stretching it on the way back to the boat... :biggrin:

What George says is true... you have to think quick and point and aim and shoot... in very short order (and not drop your gun... :rotfl: ). Sorry you did not make your tournament.

WS4F...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
Heres a good one while we are on the subject. You are down in the murk and see a large grouper. Is it a warsaw or a jewfish? A group of guys from La cleaned house on grouper at Waldos. There was lots of talk about them exceeding the daily bag limit for warsaw. They say they were Gag's. I'll post pics later to get other opinions. One AJ was weighed in that was about as long as my arm.......so stuff happens!
 

·
Loving Life!
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
Record Ling

I got a record ling friday...its in Houston.


Anyway...the more experience you have. You will come to know the legal fish underwater. While the deeper you dive, the Fish may appear to be larger, as you bring them up, they become smaller...with time you will get to know the
"Big Fish". I'm not Ms. Smarty pants...just older

Congratulations Mr. Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Tall1fin, I would take it similar to hunting. If I'm not sure, I won't shoot. I know TP&W isn't keen on illegal hunting and have heard of guys getting thier weapons, truck and atv's taken. Personally I would rather go home skunked, then have to walk home!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Seahuntress said:
I got a record ling friday...its in Houston.


Anyway...the more experience you have. You will come to know the legal fish underwater. While the deeper you dive, the Fish may appear to be larger, as you bring them up, they become smaller...with time you will get to know the
"Big Fish". I'm not Ms. Smarty pants...just older

Congratulations Mr. Michael
Will they shrink in length? I can understand girth due to pressure changes. Man this could get confusing and I don't think "honestly he was 3" longer the bottom of the rigs...really come on I'll show ya" will be a valid defense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,147 Posts
Tall1fin said:
Heres a good one while we are on the subject. You are down in the murk and see a large grouper. Is it a warsaw or a jewfish? A group of guys from La cleaned house on grouper at Waldos. There was lots of talk about them exceeding the daily bag limit for warsaw. They say they were Gag's. I'll post pics later to get other opinions. One AJ was weighed in that was about as long as my arm.......so stuff happens!
IMHO, there is enough differences between gag, warsaw and jewfish to make an ID underwater before shooting.

If two divers in the water at the same time both shoot a warsaw - well, sometimes "spit" happens. It's a shame to say it, but throw the smaller one back. At least the crabs will eat well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
I will accept your apology. It seems sincere. I do want to caution you against sending negative reputation to moderators when you don't agree with them. That puts a pretty bad taste in our mouths and you can't take them back. That said, let's move on.

Bug_Power said:
Michael, the original post was intended to inform the rest of us new guys as to the regulations are in federal waters. I apologise if it looked differently. I was under the impression that questioning catches was ok in forums other then the reports forum. I was simply going by the fact that me, being a fairly broad shouldered guy at 20", didn't think the fish was 17" beyond his shoulders. If you look in my thread posted earlier in this forum, I'm new to the spearfishing sport and need to know what is legal game, and sizes. I was informed to look at TP&W for game fish. I think the way you answered it was exactly what I was looking for. You informed me that the fish was legal length just a decieveing picture, and then informed me of the legal sizes for a ling in federal water. I figured other new speargunners would benefit from this, and the information shared was great. Thank you Michael and I apologize once again.
FC, I apologize for coming off the handle. I was going by Mont's and your previous statements that if you felt something was illegal or why someone kept a certain fish, as long as it was in the reports section, that there was not a problem with it. In the future, I will not question anyone's catch reguardless of forum. I also apologize for questioning your moderating in the jungle.
I don't want to Hijack this thread any longer and once again apologize to all parties involved.
 

·
Loving Life!
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
Don't shrink

Bug_Power said:
Will they shrink in length? I can understand girth due to pressure changes. Man this could get confusing and I don't think "honestly he was 3" longer the bottom of the rigs...really come on I'll show ya" will be a valid defense.
No they don't shrink...they magnify underwater..

I only come up with Keepers. I wouldn't want them to take Spearing away from us....
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top