2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The BIG Inch
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!! Twice in two trips my 1992 Ford F-150 pickup with a 302 V-8 has, without notice, failed. I'll be on cruise control, running along super smoothly, then....booowhop, sputter, sputter, sputter, boowhop, sputter, sputter, sputter...I stick the truck in neutral while still rolling, and it comes to life..vahroom!! I stick it back in drive, and it starts cutting out again..boowhop, boowhop..Back to neutral with a lot of gas and Vahroom!!! Finally it clears out and runs like brand new. HELP!!!!

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
the "computer" may be going out, it's on the fender well and is easy to change out, box about 6" square w 2 big plugs , truck will feel like it is running out of gas... pretty cheap aftermarkets avail from O reilys

or your fuel pump is on the way out

·
The BIG Inch
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Coastal Outfitters..

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the computer out and see if it's the problem. And you know what, it does sound like it's sputtering because of the lack of fuel. The fuel pump was changed out about five years ago. For sure, they both sound like good places to start.
Thanks again,
Joe Clark

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
First thing I would check is fuel pressure. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge you can use a set of ac gauges. Connect the blue hose to the shrader valve on your injector manifold. Should be at least 35 psi, not a ford guy so check here..
http://www.fordf150.net/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts