2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else see this special saturday night? I admit that in 1979 I was a somewhat naive 13 year old, but I did not know of, or just don't remember the failed attempted rescue of the hostages by our military or the loss of lives as a result. I was literally glued to the tv in shock and amazement as I was watching this special, with firsthand accounts from those who were there.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
I remember. Very sad. I could not bring myself to watch it. I remember it all too well. Those soldiers paid the ultimate price for trying to free innocent people.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
WT427 said:
Anyone know when that program is going to repeat?
If it is Guests of the Ayatollah Discovery Times is showing it now and starting again at 10:00 tonight with four one-hour parts -- two tonight and two tomorrow night. Then it looks like they run all four again on Saturday.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
txranger said:
Did anyone else see this special saturday night? I admit that in 1979 I was a somewhat naive 13 year old, but I did not know of, or just don't remember the failed attempted rescue of the hostages by our military or the loss of lives as a result. I was literally glued to the tv in shock and amazement as I was watching this special, with firsthand accounts from those who were there.
I still remember the morning the news was reported. I was thirteen years old as well. My dad had a habit of having news radio play in the morning. The particular morning of the failed rescue attempt, he jumped out of bed. He had misheard and thought war was declared. Not sure what he planned on doing ... but it sure got him out of be in a hurry.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Look up the man called "Kaiser" in the autobiography "Rogue Warrior" by Richard Marcinko. There is a description of what my brother nicknamed "Kaiser" did in Tehran as an undercover US Navy Seal there during this crisis.

Whoop

Cap'tn Marcinko

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was there

I was on the USS Nimitz and we left Naples on Jan. 4th to go down and around the Cape of Good Hope and back up to the Persian Gulf. Fortunately for me, my time to get out of the Navy came up and I was flown to another ship for transport back to the US around the middle of March. I rode the other ship to Diego Garcia and we were then flown to the Phillipines to catch a plane back to the states. We heard about the helicopters that had crashed when we got to the Phillipines. Most people on the ship, including myself, ever had any idea that the strike force would be launched from our own boat. Probably the best thing that came from it was Carter not being re-elected.

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FlakMan said:
Look up the man called "Kaiser" in the autobiography "Rogue Warrior" by Richard Marcinko. There is a description of what my brother nicknamed "Kaiser" did in Tehran as an undercover US Navy Seal there during this crisis.

Whoop

Cap'tn Marcinko
I think I read that book!!! Kaiser is your brother???

·
No, not the purple gay kind!
1,810 Posts
I am currently listening to the book on CD - on the 2nd cd of 9. It is excellent. This book has been on my "to-do" list for about 6 months now - long before this special was being advertised. The author (Mark Bowden) also narrates it. He is the same author that wrote “Black Hawk Down”. I also TIVO’ed the series and will watch after I complete the book.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.