2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about this boat/hull?

I have a chance at one real cheap ($500 with trailer) and it even runs (has a 307 Chevy and I/O). Boat looks to be in decent shape for its age. Needs some TLC but the transom is supposedly solid. The owner replaced the I/O baffles last year and checked everything out in that area. Hull looks like a semi-V but seems like there is a lot of deadrise at the transom. Any opinions or experience with this one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 1979 244 Chapparral a while back & it was a great offshore boat. I had it for 3 years & took divers out of Sabine Pass. I will tell you that it would take more water than I wanted to give it with no problem. I had a 305 chevy in it with a Mercruiser outdrive and the only problem I had was the power steering set up. the pump was mounted near the bottom of the boat and when there was water in the bilge, the pump would throw it up onto the motor. The manifolds/motor, were cast iron; cast iron and salt water don't play too well together and the water really did a number on it. Once I fixed the prblem, it was o.k., but that was the only real bad thing I could say about the boat. Make sure that there is a blower fan and it works to vent the engine compartment after fueling and before you crank it EVERY time. Thats about all I can think of. If you're going offshore, make sure you have a map of all the rigs in the area, and a compass that works.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I had a 1984, 21 foot with a 350 - 260 horse, mercruiser outdrive. Heavy, but would do 55 on flat seas. I'd hit 4 footers and it just pushed through them - you wait for the slam, but it never came. 4 MPG on a boat that could hold 9 people ! It was just hard to load alone, especially in the wind. Sounds like a good deal if the floor and transom are OK. Good luck, GC. P.S. Everything SCHU had to say and carry 2 compasses.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comebacks. I think the outdrive may be an OMC. I say that because from the pictures, it looks the same as my dad's boat which is about the same age. The manifolds do worry me as they were going bad on our boat (which was a 1971) and it had the same motor and it was never used in saltwater. Not sure how much new ones would go for. By the way, I am back in Pittsburgh now and this boat will be used on the great lakes, specifically Erie. Same safety items apply though since they they get every bit as rough as the Gulf on occassion. The in-laws are going to swing by and take a look at it to see if it is worth me taking a trip out to inspect it (2 hr. drive for me).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts