2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Well, I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Aunt gave me this tackle box when we went to Madison, WI for Christmas. It was my Uncle Fredy's who passed away in the late 1960's. It has some neat stuff in it. I never met my Uncle Fred and I'm glad to have something that was his. If y'all know anything about any of the lures post up. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
I have a couple of the old Shakespeare reels my Grandfather left me. That one looks like one of the fisrt ones made with a star drag. That tackle is in fantastic condition.

·
Registered
365 Posts
dang thats tackle box is sure clean for being that old. i got one from my grandparents thats probably last used in the 80's and most everything in its is rusted up. thats a pretty cool treasure there.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
That stuff needs to go in a museum, in honor of your Uncle Fredy, for keeping it so clean and organized. The picture alone is priceless.

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
If your an old lure freak like me don't use them. Put them away somewhere. You now have a good start on some antigue fishing tackle. Would be worth something down the road if not now.

And yes I'm a tackle ho! lol

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
A Crazy Crawler! Bottom shelf, second lure from the left, made by Heddon, I haven't seen one of those in a long time!
#3 Arbogast jointed Jitterbug
#5 & 6 are regular Jitterbugs.

·
Highball !!!!
2,616 Posts
top tray ....(LtoR)next to last lure......looks like you gotcha a hoola popper !!!! x2 on melons advice....rio

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Wow, I had one of those spinners with a plastic bullhead as a kid growing up in Kansas. I see a couple mepps spinners in there, I think the red and white spoons were called daredevils.

·
"Happiness is a tight koozie"
200 Posts
None of the lures are very valuable to a collector but would be great to keep and pass on to another family member some day. That box is clean, he must have taken alot of pride in his fishing gear.

There are lots of silver and green Umco tackle boxes out there but I don't ever remember seeing a blue one. That may be the most valuable piece of the whole lot!

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
That is an awesome tackle box with some beautiful lures. He sure was proud of it and kept it immaculate. That is indeed a family treasure you should hold dear to your heart. Congrats.

·
Well, I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the nice comments. I thought the catfish spinner was pretty funny. What eats a catfish?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
In the late fifties or early sixties, Kansas farm pond bass and channel catfish would hit that little catfish spinner. It wasn't a wonder lure but when I caught something on it it was usually a little bigger fish than the norm! I can't see, does that one have a double hook?

Thank you for sharing! That's a very neat find.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
None of the lures are very valuable to a collector but would be great to keep and pass on to another family member some day. That box is clean, he must have taken alot of pride in his fishing gear.

There are lots of silver and green Umco tackle boxes out there but I don't ever remember seeing a blue one. That may be the most valuable piece of the whole lot!
X2.........The Shakespeare reel with box is worth about $40........The Umco tackle box is worth about $20................Hang on to 'em ...........

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
got the biggest bass i ever got on a lazy ike 14lbs one foggy morning but mine was painted green, and that wt/red heddin reel it in slow and it will wobble and blurp.

but ya i vote to show case the box and stuff.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Does she have any pics of him fishing?? Those would make a neat shadowbox frame, to give back next year.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Looks like you got some good lures there. I'm with Melon I would not use them. They are in great condition and will be worth something someday. I don't think your uncle fished alot. I have never seen a tackle box so immaculate. I still have my old green Umco box but I had to put a new handle on it. My favorite is probably that old Fred Arbogast Jitterbug and Hula popper. I'm surprised that he did not have some kind of river runt in that box. Thanks for sharing.
RT

1 - 20 of 26 Posts