2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I did a search and didn't find too much info, so I though I would ask.

I have a 07 175 HPDI Yammy and I really don't want to run the Yamma lube for two reasons. Harder to find, and 20 bucks a gallon.

This motor has 0 hrs on it so there isn't an issue with switching oils. I have always run the Pennzoil synthetic blend that you can get Academy for 10 bucks with zero problems on my 2001 Yamaha.

Do you guys see any reason I need to run the Yamma lube? I know there is allot of guys out there running HPDI's Also heard another rumor you can't run RING FREE in the HPDI's is this true? HELP!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I just switched to Amsoil in my 200 HPDI, but with shipping it is around 24 bucks a gallon. However, I don't have to use ring free any more so there is a little bit of savings there. My manual says to run TCW-3 oil. Yamaha is not as finnicky as E-tec and Optimax when it comes to HPDI oil. I would not run the cheap stuff in a new DI engine. It is your call.... Don't forget the ring free...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yamalube is a seni-synthetic oil that is made by Citgo. My fishing partner runs Itasca which is a semi-synthetic through his 06 150 HPDI and has not had a problem. any seni-synthetic 2 stroke oil that meets or exceeds TCW3 specs should be fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Use Yamalube and ring free

I use Yamalube and ring free always. HPDI's are finicky in my opinion so the extra cost is worth it. I hear too many success stories using this combination. I blew up a 150 VMAX OX66 not using ring free. I can't blame it solely on that, but I sure feel better using it on my 200 HPDI.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any one on this board that is running the Pennzoil synthetic blend oil in their HPDI's I have called a few Yamaha places and they say I should run the Yamma lube, but they are paid to tell you this. I still am not convinced that Yamma lube is better….I think I will be paying for the name only (Yamma Lube) Thanks guys even if it's not what I want to hear…. Looks like I may be buying some Yamma lube in bulk soon.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roby said:
Cudacat,

read your manual. it states what oil is acceptable for use in the HPDI.
I will check it out again this evening, but I thought it said as long as it was TCW3 rated it was fine to use.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm not positive, but I think you have to run the yamalube for warranty purposes. If something were to happen, they can tell if you were using a different oil. That is why the different brands are colored different.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
to avoid warranty issues............run yamilube and ring free and keep your receipts

real world........................yamaha doesn't make oil..........any name brand tcwIII

citgo has been fine for me............so far..............

·
Registered
864 Posts
cudacat said:
I will check it out again this evening, but I thought it said as long as it was TCW3 rated it was fine to use.
That is what my manual states. As long as the oil you use meets the TCW - 3 requirements your warranty is valid. Just don't pour old motor oil in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts