2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at a '75 whaler w/ evin. 115 in good cond. and runs well. asking price is $7500. is this reasonable? i know whalers start out more expensive but this seems a bit high. is there a link to the marine blue book available?

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I preformed a search on teh boat trader for a 17' Boston Whaler '75 to '80. And I found a few boats from $6500 to $9500. But then there was also one for only $2900. Just remember this a boat is only wreath what you are willing to pay for it. If you think $7500 is a bit high than it is and I suggestion you give the person that is selling the boat a piece of paper with your name, phone #, and price you would pay them for the boat. If the guy hasn't sold the boat in a few months he might be willing to come down on the price and he has your name and number.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dongo,
Here is the link you were requesting.

http://www.nadaguides.com/MarineHome.aspx?LI=1-10-0-2001-3-104-26531&wSec=14&wPr=0&wPg=2004&

Good luck!

Junior

Semper Fi
:flag:

I scooted for our lines, sticky with fear. I vomited brandy-and-milk and bile all over my instrument panel. Yes, it was very romantic flying, people said later, like a knight errant in the clean blue sky of personal combat.
â€" attributed to W. W. Windstaff, an alleged pseudonym of an American pilot flying with the British RFC.

·
Registered
408 Posts
17 whaler

I had a 17 boston whaler Montauk 1987 vintage and traded in on current boat in 1999. The engine and boat were about 13 years old and I got 7000 as trade in which I thought was good considering the age and the engine was getting pretty worn. If the 75 model has the original engine plan on a replacement. Gauge the value on the hull value rather than a complete package. 17 whalers are good bay boats and fine offshore with 2 people up to 20 nm depending on conditons. If you want to run offshore more frequently and especially in 3-4 foots you need a deep vee and heavier boat. When I was 20yrs old the pounding was ok. Getting spoiled I guess.

Bill S.
See you out there tomorrow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ask these guys; http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro They only do Whalers.
Having owned several, including three 16'ers, the boat is worth $2500 in great shape, determine the value of the motor, trailer and accessories and your set. If the price is not negotiable, another will come along.
NADA is not a valid source of pricing for BW's. Boat Trader covers a good range but is on the high end.
good luck

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
About 10 years ago, I worked at LSU, Baton Rouge. We ran a fleet, including 3 1973 model BW 17's. They had the cathedral hull. They were great boats, virtually idiot proof. Bad side was that there was not a flat surface on the boat anywhere. Everything had a curve to it. It almost took a stoned hippey carpenter to fit a bracket to mount accessories.

Those boats are still in service. They have outlasted 15 sets of grad students and 2 sets of professors. If Ford 250's were made like that, you would buy one on your 18th birthday and drive it until the day you died, then will it off to your great-grandkids.

·
Gig Em! '94
1,388 Posts
I have a 17 Whaler, a 1981 model with a 1994 88 HP Johnson. It is the second version of the hull with the bull nose (much drier). A great all around bay and jetties boat with light offshore capabilities. It is like the Jeep of the boating world. Rides like a Jeep, goes just about anywhere, tough, well-made and very versatile. It is easy to handle by yourself and a lot of fun. I have used it for fishing (mostly), water skiing, duck hunting, and booze cruising. It is easy to handle alone and made to last. I think you can find one like mine for about $6,000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts