2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jumped into flat green water at 5 pm with a friend. Wind was coming out of the NW at less than 10 mph. Fished the first cut for 20 minutes then headed out to deeper water. I was able to tip toe out with the water at my neckline. The water wasn't too bad and we saw bait out there, otherwise we would have stayed close. Strung one 16 3/4" trout at 5:30 then another around 6:10 pm. Had some other hits, approximately 3-4, but nothing really hammering my bait, except for one that hit it and immediately starting peeling line then it just let go! I was not happy. By the way, I was using a 1/2 ounce gold spoon. Meanwhile, my buddy struggled as he only managed 4 bumps the entire session, all on strawberry tails with a white tail. After coming back in closer to shore around 6:30 pm for reasons you will soon read about, I switched to a Top Dog with a red head and white body. Around 7 pm started having several blowups but no hookups! I love top waters! They were coming completely out of the water and they were all trout. We saw 2 porpoise crashing bait, coming completely out of the water about 350 yards off the shoreline! What a sight. These things were huge! Hard to say exactly how big, but we both guessed at least 6' in length! We also saw one dorsal fin that stood above the waterline about 2' - 2 1/2' around the same area as the porpoise. The only difference was, this dorsal fin would surface and stay up for 75-100 yards then submerge again. It did this several time in the same area back and forth for about 30 minutes. Not hard to guess what it was, now you know what pushed us back closer to shore. Anyway, got out of the water about 8:15 pm and headed home. Sure wish we could have stayed and sure wish we could have returned this morning! I also hope it can hold for a couple of more days!

SS

P.S. Update 9:10 am 7/24: My buddy returned this morning armed with live bait and he limited on redfish at this same spot. And the bastage had to call and tell me! Some friend!

Reactions: boashna

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shrimp, sorry.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
excellent report. good to head in and avoid the food chain.

keep on grinding .......

·
Registered
208 Posts
between 8 mile and 16

We weren't too far down from y'all (we were there from 7:20-8:45) and I got 3 blowups, all trout but I couldn't get any of them to stick. My buddy was fishing mirrorlures, same color and couldn't buy a bite. I threw everything else in my box and finally switched back to the same chart top. I saw several slicks popup past the third bar, but wasn't motivated enough to swim out there w/the sharks. lol saw lots of fish come up and look at my lure but they weren't feeding well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts