2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I heard that the Optimax motors get better gas mileage than the four strokes. Since these are in the same price range these are my 2 choices. I like both but I am leaning toward the mercury.

Is there a real advantage to the 4 stroke?

Or will I have to drive my boat 20 mph to see a difference?

I already know the Zuki is quieter and the optimax is probably faster.

Warranty?

Reliability?

Longevity?

Thanks,

Captain Kyle

:shamrock:

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would but the Nautic Star 19 bay handles only up to the 150. I agree. Heres the real question why not the 300 xs insted of a 150 verado it weighs 5 lbs less the the verado!!! If a motor shop would put it on i would do it!

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Suzuki prices at edsmarinesuperstore.com are amazing. I don't mind the drive for a couple of grand off! The 175 in the Suzuki weighs the same too so I will ask. :D

·
JD Clowney Has Rabies.
5,338 Posts
Captain Kyle said:
Ok I heard that the Optimax motors get better gas mileage than the four strokes. Since these are in the same price range these are my 2 choices. I like both but I am leaning toward the mercury.

Is there a real advantage to the 4 stroke?

Or will I have to drive my boat 20 mph to see a difference?

I already know the Zuki is quieter and the optimax is probably faster.

Warranty?

Reliability?

Longevity?

Thanks,

Captain Kyle

:shamrock:[/QUOTI

I would love to take the challenge of any four stroke against mercury optimax and all their sales rep saying it gets better fuel economy then a four stroke. If you are looking for the most reliable motor, best fuel economy, and longest warranty then try checking out a yamaha. The F150 is the best motor as far as all of those items on the market today.

·
Banned
51 Posts
DO NOT get the f150 stick to a 150 opti or the zuke the yammi f150 is a slug... get the merc they are fast and good fuel economy

·
fish control my brain
7,732 Posts
This debate falls into the Ford vs Chevy realm....

The two along with the etecs are all suppose to be great motors in that HP range...

I along with Marcus R have to agree about the Yammi 150 4-banger......But I like the Yammaha brand.....so I am not bashing them....

It comes down to price, warranty, and where you going to have it serviced

·
Banned
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate yamaha anyway, i would never even consider it. Infact the only four stroke I would consider is the Zuki because I have seen guides use them and they are cheaper for the HP. The thing is, I realize the Optimax is the best motor, but it is a couple of grand more, for less HP. I would rather have a 175 suzuki that is 1k cheaper than a 150 optimax. 1k can buy allot of gas even in this day and age. ;)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
suzuki uses chain for Timing in oppose to belt . one click start like your car every time. Quiet almost like your car , I have started the engine while it was on couple of times.. ops very cheap to buy at some dealers

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
Both the Merc and Suzuki are good motors.The majority of us guides down in Matty are running Suzukis.Good motors for sure!No high dollar oil to have to worry about buying and very quiet.Fuel mileage is good also.The Mercs are also fuel efficient and push a boat alittle faster than the fourstroke.The 175 Suzi has variable valve timeing were as the 150 Suzi does not.This gives you a little better performance in the mid rpm range.I have run a boat that was rigged w/ the 175 Suzi and was impressed w/ it.My vote would be Suzuki 1st w/ the Merc comeing in 2nd place.If go fast is your goal....go Merc.

·
Banned
287 Posts
I agree with Scott, both engines are good choices. If you want a 4stroke go with suzuki, 2stroke go with merc. You can't go wrong either way. I believe the fuel mileage to be very close to the same on each. I have a 175 suki on my 19' lowpro whaler and it is a hotrod. With one person it will run 58mph with the factory prop and has an excellent holeshot and acceleration. It will also make 5mpg at 3500-4000RPMs easily. Also the 6year warranty is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Has anyone considered the Honda? In the end, may depend on closest reliable dealership.

In Rockport, due to location of Chris's Marine, my choice would be Mercury.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts