2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everything went my way.

Driftin over 3 ft of water in East Matty bay.
There were clumps of fresh green grass floating.
I saw something gray and white and determined triple tail.

I was with my 8 year old. We were out of range so I went around for another drift off the same streak. Standing on my console I finally spotted the fish again. I removed my topwater and added a DOA shrimp.

First cast was perfect and it came off it's side and slammed it.
10# line and jumpin. That fish jumped or gave huge head shakes above water at least 5 times. I have caught a dozen of these over the years but never seen one try to get rid of a hook that bad.

Boga'd at 14#
Pictures latter in the week.

Tripletail FYI:
Usually over deep water like West Matty on the bouys or offshore on weedlines and trash. We catch them offshore on rods for chicken dolphin w. strawberry shrimptails. Dolphin love them too. Typically caught on live shrimp under a popping cork about 4-5 ft down in West Matty.

Good luck.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Great Tripletail report.

Biggie:biggrin:

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
2cool Inskter....waiting on Pics......

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
hDoes anyone appen to know if there are any sort of limits on TT's...? I've looked and haven't found anything but may not be looking in the right spot...I think Florida has a limit of 2/day....just wondering...yeah they're a blast to catch..haven't eaten one though...great report thanks for sharing....

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Thanks Jeff....may try to snag some next week on Father's Day....

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
jabx1962 said:
There are no limits until September 1, 2006...2/day after that...which is great for the resource..
I am not saying you are wrong but just last week a TP&W fisheries biologist told me it was going to change to a 3 fish limit 17" or better. I am not sure which it will be.

Also folks, TP&W is doing a tagging study on TT so when ya'll catch them look them over carefully for a tag. They really need the info of where you caught them if you get a tagged TT.

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
Salty Dog said:
I am not saying you are wrong but just last week a TP&W fisheries biologist told me it was going to change to a 3 fish limit 17" or better. I am not sure which it will be.

Also folks, TP&W is doing a tagging study on TT so when ya'll catch them look them over carefully for a tag. They really need the info of where you caught them if you get a tagged TT.
The info. I had was tentative at best...

I hope the new Regs. are as you stated....2 or 3 Tripletail/year is all you really need anyway..

I will keep an eye out for Tags over the summer...and do you know if/where I can get info. on tagging them myself, since we actually target these fish?..

I would really like to participate in a study like this...

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Nice report....I am getting the tripletail itch after all this talk. Seems to be the hot fish right now. And a 14 pounder, cool

·
Gold Star Member/Blue Star Ointment
1,746 Posts
amazing that the TT was in 3 ft... thats cool Bro

·
archTech
8,716 Posts
Length

How long did the fish measure. Dad and I caught some nice ones two years ago that were 28"...he lost one bigger at the boat which eyeballed to be 32". Only reason I ask is that we did not wiegh them and I always wanted to know.

·
"CAST----On"
142 Posts
This maybe a dumb question, but how big do the TT get to be? Any idea of the largest one in the Galveston / Matagorda area?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts