2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 14.5' Shoalwater cat with a 70hp Yamaha. I'm wondering who has 1 and how they like it. I down sized from a 18.5' Explorer Flatsmaster with a elevated console and a Yamaha TRP. I bought the new 1 to go deep in the back lakes but concerned it won't handle the rough stuff getting there (no way around it in route to the Graveyard. Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Gone Fishin'
1,196 Posts
I have had mine in some pretty rough stuff. Be prepared to get a little wet if it's really rough and stay close to shorelines and you shouldn't have any problems. I have been more than satisfied with the little boat.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Little late since you own it.

Lot of us have the Baby Cat that at 16 goes anywhere and is a dry ride too.

Got caught south shore line East Maty with a serious norther showed up about the time jumped out on the south side and we made it back with 3 and 4 ft waves. Little wet but no other problems.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea you're a real master of the obvious there Jim.
However it's not the end of the world as I have the option to use another larger boat as well (21' Explorer tunnel V) that I share with my fishn buddy. My goal in this post was to find what size chop the boat handles comfortably. I like to fish in the Land Cut but there is an area at Baffin where it's wide open and it's rough.
Good luck with your Baby Cat!

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Hey Pat,

I wonder the same about the BC but like you I wanted a small boat that I could handle by myself if need be. The waves above did not bother my buddy and we had a few 5 footers that made me a little nervous heading back in to the ship channel with the norther blowing like heck. Buddy did get me. We were running down the shore line and changing to dry clothes then I get a "wave" as he puts it and I do a 180 off the side of the boat into 4 ft of water. Funny that was the only wave next to the shore that I did not see. :) Cold run back to the dock with waders full of water.

Same Buddy was down South last Spring and he and a friend were scared that they were not going to make it back in his old cat. Probably the only time I have ever heard of him being worried and he has lord knows how many day and night hours on his old 2004 BC. Lord knows how strong the wind blows down in that part of the world most of the spring.

Wish you the best with the new boat. :)

Jim

·
Dirty Dee, you're a baddy daddy lamatai
671 Posts
Hijack===hijack===hijack

Can we please stick to the authors subject matter? No hijacking please! Especially about that other boat; God knows we've heard enough about it.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
PTH- You are right I did get little off topic. Guess I was in a BS mood yesterday. :)
Too much family around I guess.

I wish Pat the best on his boat and its ability to go and do.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have the 14.5 Shoal Cat with a 60. I either fish with one additional person or just me. Runs skinny. It can be a little wet in a quartering sea depending on the wave height, however, without any freeboard you should expect an occassional spray. It's a specialized boat, but thats why I bought it. If its rough I either stay in or take the big rig. Would I have bought the 16? probably not. My requirements were to get something light, small, agile, and be able to put it up on a 1000 lb capacity pwc lift, or put it in the garage. It does all that and I am happy with it. Storage is limited, but I don't need much.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys! It's pretty much what I expected. Storage is certainly an issue especially when my fishin buddies have to bring 1/2 of Academy with them everytime we go. The biggest thing for me is that I'll heve the confidence to go exp[lore new water without having to worry about getting stuck. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts