2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah if it were me I would go with 80# and a 130# topshot. That is my plan when I finally get one that big.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
surfsharker said:
what pound line and top shot should i put on a 14/0?
Before you buy a 14/0 reel, there is something you need to work out.
Is the reason you want a 14/0, to take advantage of the heavier drag pressures its capable of, or are you just wanting one because it sounds nice to say "I got a bigger reel"
If your intention is to take advantage of the heavier drag pressures, then be prepared to drag a fighting chair to the beach with you. The Aussies have learned this and make fighting chairs out of old refrigerators. Some of the old time shark fishermen that used to run the beaches here in Texas had learned the same lesson. I've seen more than one truck with a chair mounted in the bed over the years. Without a chair, you might as well have a 12/0 with enough 80# braid backing to make up the difference in capacity.
I can remember watching a man get spooled on the short rock jetty just west of the Flagship hotel in Galveston back in the 70s. The guy had a 16/0 with 130# dacron. He was sitting on one of the rocks and bracing his feet against another rock. Every time he would tighten down the drag on the 16/0, his butt would come up off the rock he was sitting on like he was going over head first into the water. Finally another guy had to grab the harness and help hold him down. Both of these guys were over 200#. It wouldn't have been so bad if the rod had been shorter, it was about 10ft long.
I'm not saying don't get a 14/0 or even a 16/0. What I'm suggesting is make sure you decide what you are going to do with it before you spend the money.
If you decide to get the 14/0, then get yourself a fighting chair and fill the reel with 130# mono. Then you'll be ready to drag jaws up on the beach, without going water skiing.
A 12/0 will hold all the 80# you will need. After about 1000 yds, more line ain't the answer IMHO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
14/0

does it have aluminum or chrome spool? If aluminum, I would go with 130 mono straight thru.
if chrome ,, 200 to 300 yds of 130 dacron and then fill it up with 130 mono.
just the way I would run it. Lou

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gundoctor, when you said put 80 braid backing on the 12/0 was you saying put like 100 or 200 yrds of braided line on the 12/0 and then spool the rest of it up with 80 mono?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have my 9/0s rigged with 50yard backing of 80lb mono, 6-700 yards 100lb power pro and 75-100 yards of 80 lb mono on top. I have a smitty spider harness for big fish on my boat but have not needed one on the beach. Biggest I have pulled in on the beach is a little over 6' Btip though. I am sure that big mako that I think Oz got last year would require a harness. I have only been smoked once so far by something that would not stop. It was on a 4/0 without nearly enough drag available. You have to figure if your 14/0 has say 50lb drag available( I dont know for sure) you put that at the end of a 10 foot pole and crank it down max. You are looking at around 4-500 lbs of fulcrum pressure. I keep my stuff on boat rods though(5-6') and not surf rods because you cant cast something that big anyhow. Have fun with whatever you do and I would put as much braid on it as you can afford.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
surfsharker said:
gundoctor, when you said put 80 braid backing on the 12/0 was you saying put like 100 or 200 yrds of braided line on the 12/0 and then spool the rest of it up with 80 mono?[/QUOTE

I was saying to put 500-750yds of 80# braid on the 12/0 as backing, then fill the rest of the spool with 80# mono. If all you are going to fish is 80# class tackle and think you need as much line as a 14/0 holds. IMHO it won't gain you enough to pay for the braid, but it will work and save a few bucks over buying a 14/0.
14/0 reels are made to fish 130# line and hold enough 130# line to fight big fish. 12/0 reels are made to fish 80# line and hold plenty of 80# mono for anything 80# is going to catch IMHO. I see no benefit to having anymore line than a 12/0 full of 80# mono has, IMHO, if you ain't stopped the fish with 1000-1200yds of line out, you ain't getting that one. I don't care how much line your reel holds. A good case could be made for braid backing on a 10/0, to bring it up to 12/0 capacity. That is the only big reel I can see braid justified on. A 10/0 has the same drag and every thing else a 12/0 has, except with a narrower spool.
What my point was in that first post is, the way 99.9% of the people on this board fish, 80# tackle will put all the pressure on a fish they can put up. Because we all fish with stand up tackle.
How hard you can pull at the harness lugs of your reel don't count, what counts, is how hard you can pull at the rod tip. To get beyond 80# pull(130#class) at the rod tip, for all but a very very few, takes a chair. Without a chair and harnessed to a 6 ft rod, very few can pull a honest 60# at the rod tip. A longer rod drops the rod tip pressure very fast.
If you want your eyes really opened rather quickly, try lifting a 50# weight with your shark rod. Just tie the weight to the line, reel in till the rod tip is against the weight, lock down the drag, then use your belt & harness to lift 50# off the ground. You can hold the spool to keep the drag from slipping if you need to. It sure will feel like a lot more than 50#.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 14/0 and I put 1600 yds of 80 then 200 yds of 150 mono(topshot). I did this for two reasons(really 3). One, like most others, I know that 130 class is going to enable me to waterski to Cuba. Two, I fish alot off Galvetraz which has a slowly sloping beach and to get out to deep watter I tend to run 600 YDS+ from the waterline. The third reason was price... I found new 14/0's are cheaper than 12/0 from a boat shop in Austin about 357 with tax and shipping. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the info but i do have one more question. gundoctor said the 12/0 will hold 1000 to 1200 yrds of 80, but i thought it would only hold 800 yrds or 80 because thats what the 12/0 is rated for.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Penn is very conservative in what they rate their reels to hold. They don't want anyone griping about not being able to put as much line on as they say it will hold.
Depending on the line. I have gotten from 1000 to 1200 yds of various brands of 80# mono on my two 12/0s. Granted they are the old chrome over bronze spool reels and may hold a few feet more line than the new aluminum spool reels. Most people think the bronze spool reels hold a lot more line than the aluminum spools. I am beginning to doubt that wisdom, as I transfer line from one reel to another. In a 9/0 its not enough to worry about.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what kind of line do you use gundoctor? Im just making sure i can get all the good info about a 12/0 that i can before i purchase one so i dont mean to aggrevate you, because i think your very knowledgable about using a 12/0.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Another Penn reel capacity perspective, ala Gundoctor's comment.

The 309 is rated for 350 yards of 30# but you can definitely get a 1/4 spool of Berkley on it (440 yards) or, about 25% more than rated capacity.

Bob

p.s. Gundoctor, Bay Gal got her new (eBay) GS 555 and she's dying to get some fish stink on it. Where you planning to be this weekend? Read the post about the road and some of the folks meeting between the piers. I think she said Neverenough was going to be there as well.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
surfsharker, I use various lines. Some times its cheap line and sometimes it not so cheap line. For day in day out use, I don't think you can go too wrong with Berkly Big Game 80# for beach fishing with a 12/0. It should take two pounds of line to fill it up and be something over 1000yds. Right now both my reels have Spider Wire Big Water Mono 80#. Its a little smaller in diameter that Big Game so they have a little more yds of line. I put that on the reels because I got a good deal on a 2500yd spool on Ebay.
About the only line I really don't like for beach fishing is Ande, its just too soft and cuts too easy. For offshore fishing, Ande is great.
AS for asking too many questions, how else will the newbies learn, unless they want to do it the hard way, like us old farts had to. We didn't have a message board on the internet to go to for advice. Want to know a little secrete, I still learn a lot here too.
Now as to me knowing anything,THATS A MATTER OF SOME DIFFERING OPINIONS LOL

pelican, I'm headed offshore from POC Friday and not sure what I'll be doing Saturday(probably sleeping) or Sunday. I hear that Pam is yak shopping. Tell her to try before she buys. There are some yaks that are a lot more stable than my OK Scrambler and still just as fast or faster. Stability should be her first consideration, with speed as the second, then all that has got to fit into what you can afford.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks GD, but just to clarify something im not that new at sharkfishing, just new at using a 12/0. ive got a 9/0 and have caught some 7 1/2 footers but im wanting that illusive 10 footer and thats why im wanting some bigger gear. I have been using your leader setup that you showed me GD, and it works great. I thank everyone who gave me there opinion or advice on sharkfishing.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
surfsharker said:
thanks GD, but just to clarify something im not that new at sharkfishing, just new at using a 12/0. ive got a 9/0 and have caught some 7 1/2 footers but im wanting that illusive 10 footer and thats why im wanting some bigger gear. I have been using your leader setup that you showed me GD, and it works great. I thank everyone who gave me there opinion or advice on sharkfishing.
Surfsharker, I've seen or heard of, quite a few 10ft+ sharks landed on a 9/0 with 50#-80# line over the years. I've got a couple of 9/0 loaded with 50# (personally I don't like heavier than 50# on a 9/0) and I think I could handle a 10ft shark very well with either rig. I mostly fish 12/0s because I'm hoping for something bigger myself(2ft between the eyes). If you are wanting heavier tackle, go for it. I just like for a man to know what he is getting into, so he can spend his money wisely. I wish some one had told me what I was getting into a couple of times, before I jumped off into a few of my "bright ideas" that cost me some money and didn't work worth a [email protected]*m*n. LOL

BTW: I wasn't implying that you are just starting out as a shark fisherman. That comment was directed at everyone, not just you.
Here is my definition of a newbie: Some one that don't know. Smart newbies ask someone that does know. So that makes us all newbies in one form or another, I know I [email protected]*m*n sure don't know everything.

Thats one of the draw backs to this form of communication. I've seen some pretty bad message board fights break out over a innocent comment that was taken the wrong way by someone. All you see is the words, not whether the person typing is smiling or frowning. You don't see the body language or hear the inflections in their voice. That can and does lead to major misunderstandings that have, in some cases, even broken longterm friendships. (Last paragraph directed at the general membership of the board and not anyone person)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with you gundoctor, because I have seen some nasty fights on other message boards to. i was not offended when you said your newbie coment, i was just letting you know what the deal was, when i said im after a 10 footer im also wanting anything bigger that bites so i am going to get me a 12/0 and load it with 80. In anyones opinion is a 12/0 big enough to use 30 to 40lb baits with it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts