2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't get it???

You killed a 2.5 year old buck that met the TPWD criteria of what is legal.

Good job???
The very reason alot of people do not post on here!!!

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
That is a very nice buck, especially for Fayetteville, congrats! The few times I have been able to hunt this season(Colorado Co) I have seen 1 "legal" buck, but a few older basket bucks that will never sniff 13". I think the antler restriction is good, but I would love to take a few out of the herd.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't get it???

You killed a 2.5 year old buck that met the TPWD criteria of what is legal.

Good job???
the deer aged at 4.5 scored 129 3/8... been seeing him the past couple of years... his bottom lip was messed up so we decided to take him...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Nice buck !! The 13" rule does work. Our place had several basket rack bucks that wouldn't have been legal now, but fortunately we cleaned them out before that rule was put into place. All we've seen are 15" to 18" (and wider) bucks lately (on camera).. getting them to step out in daylight is another matter.

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
Nope, not gonna can it.

The 13" rule is insanity. This is not me hacking on bloodstain for killing this buck, but more a notice that this rule is ****.

I've killed bucks in Trans-Pecos ranches that scored in the 120 range that didn't make the 13" rule.

I don't care what bloodstain killed... that is the point. TPWD is wrong...
I'd be interesting in reading your research, or book if you've had it published yet.

By the way, Nice Buck, Bloodstain!

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,442 Posts
Anybody want to take the "High Road"? Enjoy your days afield, while you can. While all this infighting and catter walling is going on, circumstances that are completely out of your control could shorten your deer season without warning. When all this rain lets up, I'm headed out for a noon day hunt. The game cam does not lie. Maybe I can whack a nanny or a big spike. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Im just taking a stab at this, but I think TBM may be assuming that the first picture is the same deer as the rest and basing the age on that first picture.....

The first deer has a broken antler and no jaw/lip problem... as far as I can see, that is not the deer that Bloodstain killed.

The 13" Restriction is the best way that TPWD can attempt to manage the Texas deer herd at this point.... They are doing what they can.... it would be impossible to teach every hunter in the state how to age a deer on the hoof...

At least the 1.5 year olds are safe... better than nothing and its a good first step.... I know Im not complaining...

Congrats on your buck man....

·
PURE SOUTH TEXAS
2,755 Posts
Im just taking a stab at this, but I think TBM may be assuming that the first picture is the same deer as the rest and basing the age on that first picture.....

The first deer has a broken antler and no jaw/lip problem... as far as I can see, that is not the deer that Bloodstain killed.

The 13" Restriction is the best way that TPWD can attempt to manage the Texas deer herd at this point.... They are doing what they can.... it would be impossible to teach every hunter in the state how to age a deer on the hoof...

At least the 1.5 year olds are safe... better than nothing and its a good first step.... I know Im not complaining...

Congrats on your buck man....
X2. Yeah, That first picture(young deer) has a broken beam. The dead one doesn't.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Nice deer. 13 inch rule has worked on our place and many other throughout the state for the past 12 years. I thought "what's his face" said it was a 2.5 yo, LOL I have seen lots of "DEER EXPERTS" who live in gated subdivissions guess at age without taking the jaw.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,560 Posts
Nice deer congratulations.

The 13" rule is sure helping us in Jackson County; we've got some really nice bucks there now...and bucks actually live longer than 2.5 these days.

Oh and by the way...if anyone wants to disrespect someone's thread; do it somewhere else. There's been way too much of that lately and it is going to stop one way or another.

TH

·
290 Posts
Nice buck Bloodstain. I agree, the antler restrictions are working on our place in Caldwell County. We dont have big deer, but the results speak for themselves through the deer we have killed and the game cams.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts