2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Academy today and was looking at the 12V green lights you can run off the boat batts. I have a 24V trolling motor, so I could use those batteries.

But my question is, what am I looking for in a good light? They had the types that looked like Flourescent bulbs, and then the LED type. Is there any difference in performance? What about longevity?

·
2860 ProKat twin 250 Suzukis
108 Posts
I use the two foot flourescent lights, they work great. I made holders for them out of one inch pvc that fit in the rod holders I installed. I can send you a pic if you like, they are easy to make, the lights go in easily and come out for easy storage and protection. When the lights are out I simply turn the holders around and they are out of the way. The lights are plenty bright enough. I run two lights and my livewell off one of my boat batteries for hours and it will still crank the motor, I have another battery in reserve just in case. I have been using the same bulbs for three years. I also made a 12 volt rv incandescent light out of pvc and a light socket from the hardware store, I use a separate battery for that, it pulls the battery down much faster than the green lights. It is a good system and works great. Let me know if you want a pic, I can send you some tonight.
Bigfish

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I do a lot of night fishing and I thik I have seen the lights you are talking about. are they about a foot or so long and have jumper cable like hookups? Think they ran about 16-30 bucks. So how do you use them? do you set them in the water of hang them off the boat? that would be killer for fishing at night. wonder how they work off shore?

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,652 Posts
We made a 4 footer. We hang it over the side of the boat or we drop it to the bottom and then move away a bit. We have yet to really get into the fish with it, but that was mainly b/c of us picking the wrong nights I think.

I have a friend that sells the 4 footers if anyone is interested. PM me for details.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JWJBigfish said:
I use the two foot flourescent lights, they work great. I made holders for them out of one inch pvc that fit in the rod holders I installed. I can send you a pic if you like, they are easy to make, the lights go in easily and come out for easy storage and protection. When the lights are out I simply turn the holders around and they are out of the way. The lights are plenty bright enough. I run two lights and my livewell off one of my boat batteries for hours and it will still crank the motor, I have another battery in reserve just in case. I have been using the same bulbs for three years. I also made a 12 volt rv incandescent light out of pvc and a light socket from the hardware store, I use a separate battery for that, it pulls the battery down much faster than the green lights. It is a good system and works great. Let me know if you want a pic, I can send you some tonight.
Bigfish
Bigfish, I'd like to see your setup. Can you post up the pics so we all can see? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts