2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vendor
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
December 23rd I had the pleasure of taking Jeremy, Will, and his 12 year old son Chase on an afternoon hog hunt. When Will contacted me about the hunt weeks ago, the main goal was to get Chase a chance at a hog. He informed me that they had taken him a few times already without much luck and they didn't want him to lose interest. I assured him that I would do everything I could to make sure he got an opportunity to take a shot on a pig. As soon as I met the group on the afternoon of the hunt, Chase started off asking a ton of questions which I gladly answered! We proceeded to head to the property to get ready to head out for the hunt and Chase had an entire new list of questions as we were getting ready. I continued answering questions like how many can we shoot, where are they coming from, what time do they usually come out, how far will the shot be, how big are they, and then he asked if I would guarantee that he would get a shot….. Before I had a chance to answer his question, his Dad said, "You can control and do two things Chase, and what are those?" Chase said, "I can listen and follow directions!" I chuckled and smiled and said, "If you listen and are patient, I promise I'll do everything in my power to make sure you get a chance on a hog." That was all he needed to hear and he had a smile from ear to ear. I placed Will and Chase in there blind and had my Dad drop Jeremy off at his and I scouted another area for later in the week. Jeremy had a very eventful afternoon that included a dozen or so does and a handful of bucks out in a meadow he was watching that ended up having about 20 hogs come out right before dark. He was able to get a shot on what he thought was about 100lb hog right before dark about 60 yards from his tripod. As I picked Will and Chase up and they informed me that they had not seen anything, I saw that Chase was still trying to be optimistic about the hunt. I knew then that I had to do everything that I could to make sure and get this boy on some hogs because I didn't want him to lose interest on the sport of hunting! As we picked Jeremy up and he explained everything he saw, Chase was growing with envy…. We made our way towards Jeremy's hog and I quickly realized that his hog was a little bigger than the 100lbs he had thought! Let's just say it took 3 of us to get him on the rack and I'll let the pictures speak for themselves about the size of his boar which bottomed out a 300lb scale. Now back to the important part of the story, getting Chase on a hog!!! While Jeremy and I started cleaning his monster, I had my Dad take Will and Chase spotlighting out on the ranch to see what they could get on. It was a little early as the hogs hadn't really started moving at night till between 10pm and midnight. Needless to say, they came back empty handed…. Since Dad and I were supposed to be at dinner with the family, I sent the guys into town to grab a quick bite to eat while I went inside to do a little damage control with the family and fiancée! After eating we headed back out to get Chase a shot. We spotted a boar in the second pasture, but he knew the routine and when the light hit him he was off to the races and we had not chance at a shot. We continued hunting and about 5 pastures later, I spotted a big group of about 8-10 hogs feeding under some pecan trees. We moved into position and they held still for Chase, he was nervous and the first shot sailed a little high and the chase was on!! As I worked to keep the hogs in the clear and try and get a good shot for the little guy, he was having a blast just hanging on. He took a few more shots with no luck before I finally got a good size sow cut out from the group and headed out across some wide open country! My hopes were now running high as I knew we could get this hog for Chase because she was running in the open. We chased her for a little while longer before she began to tire and present Chase with a prefect broadside shot at about 40 yards. He put a great shot on her and she didn't run 50 yards and kicked over! We had done it!!! Chase was jumping for join and I was so happy that I was able to get him on a hog. We took a few pictures and then headed back to the house to start cleaning his harvest. I couldn't have been happier to get Chase his hog and that is truly what hunting is all about. Here are some pictures from the hunt for you guys to enjoy and I'm just as proud of Chase's hog as he is! Whether you are hunting or fishing, introducing a youngster into the outdoors is very important to our future and I believe it is one of the greatest feelings I get out of it. Have a great holidays everyone and take this time off to introduce someone new into the great outdoors!! CONTRATS Chase from the Run-N-Gun Team!!

·
TexasJ
386 Posts
Ol Chase sure looks excited. Congrats on some fine swine. I sure would of like to of put some curs on that toothy one, he looked like a fighter...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts