2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Wishn' I Was Fishn' (Mike) and I had another fun day on the water. We ran out about 10 miles out of G-town yesterday morning in hopes of big kings, but the kings were few and far between. We did each catch a ling (on trout rods) that were both a little to short. The weed line we normally fish was all broken up and the rift was not there. There was very little current and not wind so drifting was though. What we did find was the broken weeds were full of chicken Mahi. Could not get them to bite anything to start with, but we finally figured out. I started throwing a Gulp swimming mulet (red or char both worked) and they would inhale the gulp. Mike started catching them on dead shrimp, equally as well. We ended up with 24 between us which means todays menu includes grilled Mahi.

So the next time you can't get the mahi to bite, carry some of them Gulps with you. I fished them on a stright hook (3/0) with no weight at all. If I saw the Mahi it sight casted to them. If I didn't see them I just casted as far as I could into the broke weeds. In both cases I worked it the same. When it hit the water, I would let it just slowly sink, and it most cases one of the mahi would nail it. But if they didn't go for it, I would give it a quick jerk, to get their attention then again let it sit. It worked and tonight we will be eating good!

Tightlines.
Derek

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
What time is supper ???? :biggrin:

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Good going, Derek. I know someone who's been wanting to get out and chicken hunt that's going to be real envious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts