2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the benefit of this? To the site or to the bot creator or software creator that sends out the blasts or whatever. I'm not a computer guy at all. Where do these originate and what is the benefit? Just curious.

·
Registered
27ft Seahunt Gamefish 27
3,636 Posts
a lot of them originate in India and China. Most times they post some sort of link trying to get you to click on it...it can launch trojans, virus' or get you to sign up for something so they can scam you or just have a valid email address.

·
Who said that was spicy?
2,042 Posts
Money is the benefit. Either make money off of you or take money from you. It’s as simple as that.

Advanced bots machine learn and generate the posts automatically. Computer code for things like bots and viruses can be easily purchased on the Dark Web.

·
Got better things to do than play games
17,373 Posts
If the owners of this site used a free Cloudflare account, they could rejected every IP outside of the US, which is what I did. Also with the XenForo package (which this site runs under), an administrator can permanently reject any IP in less than 10 seconds if they chose to. They can also deny access to the site by the TOR web browser.

Life is much more peaceful for an admin by just shutting off access to 100% of the foreign & 50% of the domestic PITAs. They still try to gain access via a US based VPN which requires watching them.

·
Super Moderator
3,786 Posts
I try to eliminate all the ones that originate from overseas based upon their IP address. But these one hit wonders are being registered in the US as well. Most seem to be bots, etc but there are a few legit users finding the site and trying to post. Difficult to differentiate sometimes and just have to wait until they post something that exposes them so we can ban their IP, etc. As a moderator, there is not an easy, one click way to do that unfortunately. It sure gets old sometimes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts