2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 Deer and 2 Wal-mart bags

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Blue.dog 
#1 ·
Just processed dbullards deer for him and wanted to show ya'll the yield off of a deer and what it looks like step by step, to the end result. This is just tenderized deer and ground meat.

He wound up with 20 pounds of ground deer meat and if you did a 60-40 blend of pork to deer to make sausage then you would add 30 pounds of pork to equal 50 pounds of sausage. But wait, if you lose 20 percent in the smoke house, due to shrink, then you would only have 40 pounds of smoked sausage.

He wound up with 43 pieces of tenderized deer, other than the loin meat. This includes the hams and the shoulder. 16 pieces of tenderized meat came of the loins. So, you are talking about 4 packs of loin meat and 11 packs of other tenderized meat.

I put 1 1/2 pounds per pack on the ground deer, until the last two packs and then they had around a little over a pound in them.

My point being, is that it all fit in two Wal-mart bags. It doesn't look like a lot, packaged up. But, spread out over the table, it looks like a whole lot.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
what a prefect day to do this ,it be nice to have a 200 lb hog hanging and skinned ,a bottle of crown reserve and a few friends to help stuff and smoke some of that, you should show some of the too cooler the glands that are located inside the rear hind quarters dont want to grind them up ,and alot of people have no idea that they are in the hams, most of them about the size of a lima bean, you did a jam up job on the processing!!

#10 ·
I have a stainless steel LEM tenderizer. It is hand cranked, but does a wonderful job. I have a small Guide Series Grinder that is a little workhorse. I also have a Guide Series Piston stuffer that I use to stuff my sausage with.

I processed 3 deer this morning, with the help of one of my buddies up the road. Time to fry up some tenderized backstrap and take it easy.

#7 ·
GG do you hand pound the steaks or do you have one of those grinder kinda tenderizers? If by hand what do you use?
Nice work on getting down to the pure stuff with all the white sinue removed.
Show us a pic of your sausage smoker one day.

#11 ·
The cutting board came from the cutting board factory and was custom cut for me. The table came from a yard sale and my wife asked if I wanted it. I said yes, but wasn't driving the truck out there to pick it up. She put it upside down on the roof of her Nissan Maxima and tied it down with some electrical wire and rednecked it home to me. Of course she put a blanket in between it and the roof to act as a buffer. You ought to see the 5 dollar crawfish pot and strainer she bought for me at the same yard sale. I can scald 4 chickens at a time in the pot.

#14 ·
GG,

I've been wanting to post this question and now looks like a good time.

How many pieces/packages of Tenderloin should I get from one deer?

I had 2 deer processed this year and only got one small package of tenderloins from each deer. The size of the package was about the size of a clinched fist.

thanks,
Blue.dog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.