2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You cannot justify a half ton diesel.
This is just arrogance. The same reasons why you choose a diesel in any big rig are the same reasons you choose a diesel for a not so big rig.

A half ton truck in 2021 is probably more capable than a 3/4 truck from the 80’s or 90’s. Not everybody needs to haul 15k with a 2500 truck that rides like it’s got concrete for wheels. And, the Diesel engines are much less expensive in 1500 trucks than in their heavy duty counterparts. About a $3,000 difference, nothing like the extra 9-10,000 in a heavy duty truck. You’ll probably never make up the difference in fuel savings and increased maintenance cost but the same math applies to a 2500 truck.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I owned a 2004 and a 2010 F250 diesels, and I had so many issues with them that I would never own a diesel or a Ford again. The issue is the the government is choking them down so much with emission **** that they are not as reliable or efficient as they once were. The maintenance cost are outrageous and diesel is more expensive. The price on the trucks are also are getting to be so expensive.

If I did decide to buy a diesel again I would buy a Dodge Ram. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Me or my company have owned multiple diesel trucks thru the years. Currently we have a 2015 F250 with approx 100k trouble free miles. Only issues with that truck have been maintenance items...brakes, oil changes etc. Also own a 2015 Ram 5500 with approx 60k miles. Bought this truck preowned about a year and half ago with only 12000 miles. The 48k miles we’ve put it on it have been trouble free as well. Only maintenance items for it. It does drink the DEF compared to the Ford but it also carries up to 8k lbs payload on a daily basis. Now I have the 2021 GMC Sierra 1500. I’ve had it for 2 weeks as of today. Has approx 1200 trouble free miles . Only thing I’ve had to spend money on it is fuel !!! And thats been WAY less than the Tundra I traded for it. I see multiple posts about increased maintenance costs for diesels, cost of DEF and higher price for diesel over gas. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I haven’t had prohibitively higher maintenance costs on my diesels. Oil changes cost more but can be done at longer intervals. DEF is CHEAP!!! $12 for a jug that lasts for several thousand miles and right now diesel is only a few pennies higher than gasoline. For me the 1/2 ton diesel was an easy choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
diesel or gas

Doing the math, over the lifetime of the truck, say 10 years, say a diesel gets you 25 mpg and a gas gets 16 (my 5.0 coyote Ford 4x4 gets right at 16). Gas at 2.50 a gal and diesel at 2.75. 12,000 miles a year for each. Would take about 7 years for the dollars to balance assuming the diesel is $3500 more to buy! That does not take into consideration the cost of DEF, and a bit more expensive oil changes.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Diesel truck as.daily driver.is ridiculous. That's what the diesel tdi is for. Drive me crazy if I drove a truck 24/7 freaking tanks. I use it when I need it. Haven't had gas truck or.commuter in a LONG time. Actually headed out.the door in the stick 53mpg straight piped jetta...truck on watch duty.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Doing the math, over the lifetime of the truck, say 10 years, say a diesel gets you 25 mpg and a gas gets 16 (my 5.0 coyote Ford 4x4 gets right at 16). Gas at 2.50 a gal and diesel at 2.75. 12,000 miles a year for each. Would take about 7 years for the dollars to balance assuming the diesel is $3500 more to buy! That does not take into consideration the cost of DEF, and a bit more expensive oil changes.
This is why I went with a gasser. I couldn't justify the cost for the miles I drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The math I used to conclude the 1/2 ton diesel was right for me is different than what you have here.
For the GMC/Chevy in the trim level I wanted, the 3.0 diesel was a $995 up charge from 5.3 gasser. The 6.2 gasser was $3k up charge from the 5.3. Also, I put WAY more than 12k miles a year on my trucks. I’ve had mine for 5 weeks and have 4K miles on it. The cost of DEF in my mind is negligible at best. 2.5 gallon jug is $6.98 at Walmart. After putting 4K miles on my truck I’m still showing 1/3 in the DEF tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 52 of 52 Posts