2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience or opinions on the new 1/2 ton diesels? I've seen where the Ford hasn't sold well and the Ram was just recently re-released.

I'm intrigued with the thought of the increased MPG of the diesels. I average about 27000 miles per year...mostly hwy driving.

I tow a 6000lb boat several times a year from Dickinson to Lake Travis or Canyon Lake. Also tow a little Kubota CUT a few times a month.

I'm wondering most about why the diesels have been such mediocre sellers. Seems there was a big clamor for them and now that they're here, they're being passed over for other motors.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
70 k Miles on a 2016 Ram EcoD. Love the truck. 4x4 crew cab, on the hwy it can easily get 25-27 mpg, around town 17-21. I tow a 35 hp kubota tractor regularly with ease and a 20 Tran cat. Towing mileage is still pretty decent, 12-14 mpg. Just towed a Crew cab mule 4010 to uvalde and back, avg 12 mpg at 70+ mph. Drives a little different than your avg gas half ton, takes a little getting used to.

·
Registered
314 Posts
After owning 2 Ford F250 diesel`s I will never buy another Ford again. They haven`t made a good diesel since the 7.3. They have a lot of emission issues and both of mine were in the shop all the time. The last one kept going into regen and I was getting about 1 gallon of fuel in my oil every 4000 miles and 3 Ford dealers told me that this was normal.

I would suggest Chevy or Dodge.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,298 Posts
I have a 3.0L diesel in my BMW X5. I am a full time guide and tow my 26ft Southshore with oversize TTop daily. It weighs 6800pounds. Wife has same vehicle with same diesel. We tow the two horse trailer which weighs 7500 loaded often. Also have an equipment trailer for the John Deere or Mahindra. The twin engine offshore boat is a lil over 7600 pounds. Tows, handles, stops em all great.
Have 125k miles on both vehicles now. Normal maintenance and repairs. Nothing major or unexpected. We get 36mph empty. 17mpg towing the horse trailer. 13mpg towing the boat. I tow with mine daily up and down the coast.

I know it's not a truck that you asked about. Just sharing my experience w the 3.0L diesel. And just an FYI it has the identical same part number 8spd transmission as in the Dodge half tons.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Steven
Do you know if there are different axle ratios for the BMW?
Your's are x5 xdrive 35d right ?
What year models?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,298 Posts
I believe the only axle is the 3.15.... not really targeted as a tow vehicle so they dont offer a lot of tow options. It is an animal. If I was getting another vehicle tomorrow I would get another one. Up to 7500 pounds it is the very best every day tow vehicle I have ever had. And i have had every truck out there and lots of dually and f550s. I used to drive over 100k miles a year hot shotting so I bbn know what towing is. When my wife got her silver X5 I still had a 3/4 ton Chevy CC 4x4. It towed and handled and stopped my boat better than that truck ever thought about. Got rid of the truck and got my own X5 that week.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,298 Posts
They are both 2015.
Wifes came with the factory hitch.
I installed the Invisihitch on mine.
Both hitch styles work well. I am not of fan of not being able to use standard drawbars but the pro to that is with this design there is zero slack. As in none. It is two pieces machined to exact tolerances. It is as tight as if it were bolted on solid. We couldnt care less about them being "hidden" as we leave the assembly in 24/7 so you see the bar and ball as you would with anything.

And btw the axle ratio is excellent for the tire size. I see no need for change there. I have never slipped a tire. And the torque and close gears of that 8speed will leave off the line hard towing or not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've owned several trucks over the years from F250 diesels to 3/4 ton gassers and a few 1/2 tons in between. After I traded in my f250 cuz I only towed a bay boat and my 5500lbs camper maybe 6-8 times a year I couldn't justify the big diesel and instantly regretted it. Went thru 3 trucks in 2 yrs looking for the same comfort while towing as the 3/4 diesel and finally found it in my 2020 Chevy 1/2 ton diesel! This think is impressive! Pulls my boat and camper very easily and avg about 14mpg while towing and when not towing avg about 27mpg with 32-34 mpg at 60-65 mph. Look into them u won't regret it. Now that being said the tow rating is only 9300lbs but I don't have anything that big so no problem here.

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,812 Posts
Only reason to buy a 1/2 ton diesel is to be able to say you own a diesel, but you gotta go pick up the kids from soccer practice.

I’ve driven the new 1500 Duramax and the F150 Powerstroke. Nice trucks don’t get me wrong. But I just don’t understand them. Probably just me!

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,812 Posts
The only excuse for a 1/2 ton diesel is if someone swaps a Duramax/Allison power train into a Suburban. Now that, I’d drive that 7 days a week

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,298 Posts
The 1/2 ton diesels are a long overdue needed solution for the guys that dont need and dont want giant trucks to pay for or maintain.
Unless you tow everyday the current offerings of bigger than 1/2 ton truck are hard to justify beyond you just want to and to you that is luxury.
I had big diesels and duallys and F550s since high school. Man I dont miss it at all and doing everything possible not to need it again.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Only reason to buy a 1/2 ton diesel is to be able to say you own a diesel, but you gotta go pick up the kids from soccer practice.

I’ve driven the new 1500 Duramax and the F150 Powerstroke. Nice trucks don’t get me wrong. But I just don’t understand them. Probably just me!
I think you're wrong on this one. This is the perfect truck for a guy like me. First off, on a GM, you're talking a $3500 upgrade, which isn't bad if you're spending upper 40's-55k anyway. I drive 35k to 40k miles a year, and i pull boats, travel trailer, and a UTV all over the State. My 5.3 gets a whopping 10-11 mpg pulling my boat, and probably 6-7 pulling my travel trailer. Not to mention this 2020 gets about 17-18 on average. My brother bought a 1/2 ton Babymax about 4 mths ago, and that is one strong motor. I'd put it against the 3.5 Eco in a heartbeat pulling, the Eco may stick with it, but it'll be working twice as hard. He has averaged 26.5 since new, and will hit close to the 30 mark on trips. I have no need for a 3/4 ton, been there, done that. My travel trailer is about 8k, so that Babymax is more than capable. Anybody need a slightly used 2020 Chevrolet RST?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ram 1500 eco diesel gets close to 30 as well according to independent videos like tfl truck.
And it has air ride suspension.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,014 Posts

People who are interested in these trucks want the power of a diesel that produce great MPG. The ecoboost makes a ton of torque, but they don't get up to 30mpg on the highway like the 1/2 ton diesels.

Also, people who are interested in these trucks need to tow but nothing over 10K pounds so these trucks are a perfect fit. I will definitely be looking at them in a couple of years when I replace my 2012 Ford F150 crew 4x4.

Lastly, the standard 1/2 ton truck with a gas motor is almost the same as these 1/2 ton diesels.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The new 1/2 ton diesels are a great fit for a lot of people. I just don't drive enough or tow enough to justify the +/- $3k cost difference. My 3.5 ecoboost averages about 20 mpg for me. I drive about 20K a year. If I would average 27 mpg in a new diesel that would only save my a little over $200 a year in fuel and that's not including the DEF. If I drove more I would buy one though. Love the idea of great fuel milage, decent towing power and nice ride combined.

·
Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,048 Posts
Love my 3.5 ecoboost but after driving my brothers chevy 3.0 and seeing his 25 mpg ill be making the change. They have a pretty good discount right now so may be pulling the trigger this week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A half ton diesel is on my short list for my next truck. Those that have a travel trailer around 8,000 pounds, how does it tow, stop, and what fuel mileage are you getting while towing?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Stay away from the Nissan Titan I know why they stoped putting the 5.0 Cummins in them. I put 35,000 miles on mine and was in the shop for over 2 months. Dodge 6.7 deleted I get 22 MPG pulling a 34TT I get 13-14mpg

1 - 20 of 52 Posts