Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Car Plant Tire Vehicle
Speedometer Car Vehicle Tachometer Automotive design
Car Speedometer Tachometer Vehicle Plant
Car Vehicle Automotive design Gauge Personal luxury car
Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Ok guys I know I'm gonna get some heat for this post from the real diesel guys but I'm a BIG fan of this new Chevy 1/2 ton diesel. I bought the truck a year ago and just rolled over 15k miles so I figured I'd give yall a real life one year update. First off let me say I've owned many trucks over the last 25yrs and this one does EVERYTHING I need it to. I've never owned a truck that I could actually say I don't regret something about it until now. The truck from a driving stand point is as smooth as my wife's Lincoln SUV and gets better fuel mileage (25 mpg avg). When it comes to towing I own a 6k lbs camper, 3500lbs bay boat and a 6x12 utility trailer for my golfcart/Ranger. This truck pulls all 3 of these with ease and the towing mileage is the exact same as when I had my F250 diesel. Now saying that yes I notice that the camper/boat are back there unlike the 3/4 ton but where this truck stands out is the ride and mpg this this truck gets. It comes with a 24gal tank and it's not uncommon to see 550-600 miles on a tank and at 60/65 mph I'm seeing high 30's on mpg! Yes u read that right high 30's in a full size truck. When I'm towing I'm seeing 12-16mpg and that's what most trucks are seeing unloaded. I know these 1/2 diesels aren't for everyone but if your like me and don't have anything over 10k lbs you need to tow I can honestly say you want be disappointed PERIOD. I'm including some pics of the truck and mileage at fill up and during towing and crusing speeds.

·
Play Deep
3,653 Posts
Food for comparison. 2020 f250 6.7. IF - if , I drive it below light speed , economy is 23 mpg. When in warp speed - it’s still at 18-19 mpg. The 10 speed trans is the difference.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that the 10 speed transmission is a big help. Had the same one on my F150 Ecoboost and loved it

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,532 Posts
I have a 3.0l diesel. I have 135,000 miles with about 90% towing. 26ft boat weighs 6700 pounds. It has a big oversize ttop which makes for a lot of wind resistance. I get 12 mpg towing it at 70.
Horse trailer weighs 7500 with the two horses in there. Much more aerodynamic gets 16mpg towing it at 70.
21ft Lund aluminum duck boat gets 17mpg towing at 75.
17.5ft quipment trailer with whatever tractor on there gets 17mpg towing at 75.

As mentioned the 3.0l diesel is an animal. Exceedingly capable.

Wife has the exact same 3.0l diesel without all the towing. She averages 36mpg on the highway and 32 geneneral all around in town.

BMW x5 diesel. BMW been making that 3.0l for a long long time. Everybody else copying now 10 years later.....

One of the best tow vehicles for under 7500 pounds I have ever had. They quite making that diesel in 2018.... but maybe they will again. I am a full time guide and pull the boats everyday..... if I was replacing my tow vehicle today I would get another one as my first choice.

But when they get those 3.0l diesels in the Tahoe or Expedition and their are some used ones available I may make that change. Great powerplant.

Attachments

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
Majek Texas Slam
5,350 Posts
Great review for sure. Thanks, a good friend has a new gmc 1/2 ton diesel and it is nice. Might consider as ill be on the road alot more now days and a 350 is a bit much for what i tow anymore.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Have you calculated the mileage yourself? How far off are your numbers from the truck's computer? I have checked the computer on 2 vehicles with a habit of running my mileage with most tanks of gas. My numbers have been consistently 2-3 mpg lower than the computer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Please change your Fuel Economy from 50 miles to 400 miles and post picture. It will give a more accurate reading of your average mileage. Thank you for the update.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I did the math on one of my last fill ups the one that shows 24.6 mpg and 581.7 miles in the pic above the gallons were 23.2. If my math is correct that a hair over 25mpg. Which is better than the computer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had a 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and hand checked the computer mileage often, not never much of any difference. Well maybe just a little wiggle every now and then, very neglidgable though. Thypically 30-32 driving back and forth to work, in town it would knock down to around 26-27. Heck on a quick vacation to the black hills of South Dakota and back we averaged 33 all the while running 85 on the lots of open highways out in the middle of nowhere. Kept it two years (53,800 miles)and the wife wanted to replace her paid off truck, so traded the Ecodiesel on a new F250 for her and kept her 2010 F150 Lariat with only 88,000miles on it. Although I really liked the EcoDiesel, it was a matter of economics and me getting a very nice paid off truck to replace the Ecodiesel. Just saying.......cC

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm sure I've said this already, but you have a nice truck. Thanks for keeping us updated on the 3.0L. Some day, I need to make a decision on my 05 Duramax w/287K. It's been great trk and served me well, but I will start a new career soon and she'll be too big for the city commute.

Who knows she may just get a make over:)

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
879 Posts
Has anyone towed max capacity with these little diesels yet? Curious how they handle heavy loads. I’m also only seeing about a $5k difference from an F150 diesel to the f250 diesel dressed the same.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So like I said I tow a 6k lbs camper and it tows GREAT! I would never tow anything at max rating. My rule of thumb has always been about 75% of my max is what I'm willing to tow. As far as the Ford 1/2 to 3/4 price I can't speak of but for the Chevy the baby duramax is only a $2500 up charge from the 5.3 gas 1/2 which in my opinion is well worth it! I may be wrong but I think it's the same price as the 6.2L gas engine. And I've been hearing those are having lifter problems.

·
><)))))> ~------------
138 Posts
I have a 2020 Sierra with the 3.0l and love the fuel economy (avg 25) and can get in the low 30's on the Hwy if I drive the speed limit. I tow a 20' bay boat pretty regularly and compared to the F-150 with the 5.0 I had, I can definitely tell the difference in all aspects of towing (mileage, acceleration, comfort and braking). I was planning on getting the 6.2 in my next vehicle as the 5.3 I had years ago just wasn't enough. When I found out about the 3.0 and did my research I was all in.

I have about 33k miles and just started getting the fuel filter replacement ding on the dash computer....need to look into this. I also get about 6-7k miles on a full tank of DEF (about 5gal). I too have the 24g fuel tank and regularly hit 590-610miles/tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts