2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions as to mods I could ad to increase my MPG. I already have an Edge EZ module. I am thinking about cold air intake, aftermarket intake manifold and 4 or 5" exhaust. I already have a straight 3" exhaust. I am also thinking about switching from Rotella to Amsoil since it seems as though that is helping most people on the economy. My mpg went down significantly with the onslaught of ULSD. I get around 16.5-17 on a good day w/ ULSD and I can still push 19 if I find LSD or ad boat oil to the ULSD. Also thought about changing intercooler, but that's more than I want to spend on 1 mod not knowing if it will help. I have heard of CTD's getting in the upper 20's mpg (26-28) from reliable sources. I am just wondering what is the best way to start working that way.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Personally, I don't think the things you mentioned will help with fuel economy.

Is that mileage highway, mixed, or stop and go? My wifes '03 HO automatic gets about the same mileage driving in town. My '01.5 HO 6-speed can manage about 19.5 in city driving. Neither truck gets more than the low, low 20's in highway driving. Never has gotten upper 20's. (OK, maybe you could if you average 45mph)

Your '00 would probably respond to some aftermarket injectors. If you can keep your foot out of it the mileage will improve slightly. If you have an automatic trans, an aftermarket torque converter will help propel the truck down the road rather than converting that energy to heat. (the stall speed is too high on the factory converter)

·
archTech
8,618 Posts
I think the fresh air is your best bet for the money right now. You have opened up the exhaust (straight pipe) and will get little benefit going to a 4" to 5" exhaust unless you will be producing over 500 h.p. If the noise is getting to you, go to O'riley's and get a Walker Big Truck muffler and put it on (3.5" in and 3.5" out) as it quiets it down until you put your foot in it. I agree with the torque converter (but they are expensive); however, you might consider having them install a shift kit the next time you have your tranny serviced as they are right there when they drop the pan.

·
Sea Ya
936 Posts
Upper 20's? I would have to see it to belive it. My 01 with 3.55 gears gets 19 all around and it will get 22 on the highway but you have to run 75-80 mph to get it, so 20 is about it. I not saying it's impossible to get that kind of mileage, I belive to achieve this it will take many years to get the investment back.
POC Transplant said:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to mods I could ad to increase my MPG. I already have an Edge EZ module. I am thinking about cold air intake, aftermarket intake manifold and 4 or 5" exhaust. I already have a straight 3" exhaust. I am also thinking about switching from Rotella to Amsoil since it seems as though that is helping most people on the economy. My mpg went down significantly with the onslaught of ULSD. I get around 16.5-17 on a good day w/ ULSD and I can still push 19 if I find LSD or ad boat oil to the ULSD. Also thought about changing intercooler, but that's more than I want to spend on 1 mod not knowing if it will help. I have heard of CTD's getting in the upper 20's mpg (26-28) from reliable sources. I am just wondering what is the best way to start working that way.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
if you are rolling big rubber takem off and get the stock size back on . visit DTR on the web . and you should already know to get a fuel pressure gauge for that VP44 and lift pump set up ,saved me mucho $$$$

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention i guess that I am running stock size 10 ply tires @ 80psi and it is a 5spd manual. I'm not sure what gears I am running. The mileage I stated is a good average for highway running 70-75, which I used to get 19mpg doing. Also, I am not expecting to get to upper 20's, I would just be thrilled to get 20 or above. I got used to the mileage in my stock 12 valve, but then I rolled it and moved up to this 24v. I didnt notice but around 1mpg difference on the highway until ULSD came out. Now it is more like 3-4mpg, but I figure the 12v would have seen a drop in mpg due to the ULSD too. Anyone use amsoil in their cummins? If so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
open the glove box and the ratio should be on a tag in side the door. my01 auto 4x4 gets 18/19 all day except when i pull the 5th its drops to 11ish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts