2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

12 Lb Snook

7K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  spidwkendwarrior 
#1 ·
Gotta show off a little. Although fishing was a little slow here in the LLM over the Memorial Day Weekend I did manage to catch my PB Snook on a topwater. 34", 12 lbs on topwater Friday AM.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That's great!

Your fish got me wondering so I Googled Snook for Texas record it found this. I would have never imagined it was that large.

The Texas state record snook is 57 lbs. 4 oz. caught by Louis Rawalt in 1937 off Padre Island. The current world record snook is 57 lbs. 12 oz.Feb 1, 2015

Are you going to put it on the wall?

#9 ·
That would be risky and a violation since the slot is 24-28”. A 34” snook in Texas has to be returned to the water after being caught.

TP&W enforcement does look at forums and social media for folks that might inadvertently incriminate themselves.

#19 ·
Wow What a snook! Congrats for what I know was a thrilling catch. Fished LLM for a couple weeks at time for three years in the 90s and we caught some small ones. What a fight those fish can put up!

My son hooked one under the trout light at the house we stayed at in Port Isabel and fought it for about few minuets as it streaked up and down the canal like a lightening bolt.

We saw it take the live shrimp and saw under the lights a couple of times during the fight. It was about 30".
I would have loved to seen the blow up your fish made on a top!
Congratulations again.

#21 ·
I myself was pretty jealous. I have never caught one. Apparently my prior post on the matter rattled a few people. Got my first “Reddie” in 5 years. (Thanks). Guess the streak died. Lol. Either way, that’s a great catch and hope to get one myself someday. I just don’t know if I will cause I’m a Goober! Hehe

#23 ·
Never caught one in Texas, but caught a bunch of bigguns in Fla... I'd love to catch one here.
Congratulations to you sir on a fine trophy catch!! Pound for pound, one of the most viscous and hard fighting fish in the water! The ones I've caught were all while wading the mangroves along the West coast of Fla. and they are a feat to accomplish landing one in waist deep water and no net... gotta stay away from those gill plates! They're like razor blades!!

#26 ·
Good info

Nice catch. Here is a link for those interested in a short concise history of snook by Texas Parks and Wildlife.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/didyouknow/coastal/snook.phtml
Bill, thanks for posting that. That was an interesting read. I have caught enough of them here in the LLM to say that while not "Rare", they are uncommon, at least in my experience. I have probably lost as many as I have landed between having a light leader cut on their gill plates and just having them come unbuttoned after seeing them jump. If you look closely at their mouths, there is not a lot of flesh to sink a hook. It is mostly membrane and bone, I think a lot of time the hook gets set in the membrane and pulls loose under pressure or starts to wear a large enough hole that the hook detaches. In any case they are an incredible fight and a truly heart stopping blow up on a top water!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.