Reds and Uglies in the Marsh - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
Master of Boats
Marshman's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 23 2008
Location: HackHousberg
Age: 62
Posts: 1,434
Rep Power: 18249700
Marshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to PirateMarshman has been promoted to Pirate
Reds and Uglies in the Marsh

Woke up this morning, wind was pushing pretty hard out of the north. And looking behind the house, the water was about 50 feet from the bank, typical of north winds in SW LA. So.... chasing fish out in the bay, wasn't going to be very fun, and maybe not productive. And, it was a touch cooler than I expected, so I figured that the fish might not be "on" first thing this morning. Therefore, a hearty breakfast was in order, before going to the marsh.

Now, I hadn't planned on going to the marsh - I let my wife use my F350 to move some stuff around in the Hill Country, and I didn't have to attend. So that left me the jeep, which ordinarily isn't a problem, it can tow the bay boat no worries, it's a flats boat, not real heavy. But now, in LOW water, how to get the yak to the marsh, about 20 minutes away?

Decided to take the yak and stick it in the old duck boat, maybe I can practice using it as a mother ship for later in the year, when I don't feel like a long paddle in August heat. That worked out OK, just tied the bow line to the winch post, and then put a line across the seat from side to side.

Got to the marsh, and water was LOW there, but still some on the flats, and the channels had water. Tide was still going out, at the crossings I have to go over, but expected to switch in an hour or so. Put in at usual spot, went to the first washout, and nada, nothing, went thru the cut, fished the flat on the other side, one small red. I did see a flounder pouncing on bait on the edge of the channel but he wouldn't play.

Paddled back thru ( had to, got hung on old piling ). Headed into main bayou that feeds this marsh complex, and wow - should have scouted this out when I went over it. Countless reds were crashing bait on the edges of the straight part of the channel, and fanning out over the flats where side channels came in. Lost count of the redfish I caught, and lost a couple decent flounder too. This went on for a couple hours, then, suddenly, it as over, no more cruisers, no more explosions on the small shad in the shallows. I was afraid that the fish would be keyed on the small stuff, but caught all on jigs, mainly with white/chartreuse split tail. Had a fly rod in the jeep, but didn't really want to throw it from the yak in the wind.

Once that bite quit, I went out on the flats and caught a few fish there, but was very hard in the wind and fish were spooked easy, in murky water. If I made a quiet stalk, and didn't jump a near fish while getting out the the farther fish, I could catch one every little bit, but was a LOT of work, covered a lot of ground.

Went back thru long bayou, tide had changed, I think that was why the fish left the channel. Had incoming tide, opposed by now south wind, it was north in the morning. Posted up down current, with wind at my back, facing and old bridge, with incoming current towards me. It was on like Donkey Kong!

There were a fair number of these mixed in too:

I'm not real keen on the big uglies, but they do pull good! Forgot the gopro, had to take pics with the Iphone instead, it's not as good as the gopro for the closeup to the boat pics. Most of these areas are "one boat" deals, not easy to take a partner to take your picture there. When my brother and I go ( and usually have one of the nephews with us) we end up all going in different directions. Thinking I may need to look into radios for that, the iPhone batteries go flat quick, coverage is not good here, sitting low in the boat doesn't help any.

Left about 1700, was pleasantly tired, had a couple of barely legal reds in the box for supper, got the fish ready and enjoying a whiskey right now before I grill these up!

Going to try in the bay tomorrow, either big Lake or West cove, noticed some pretty water on the way home tonight, unexpected from the chocolate milk I saw most everywhere. I'll update this post w results later tomorrow.
Marshman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links


Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2CoolFishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2019
© 2013 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise