New 3D printer. Having fun. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Hobbies Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
richg99
richg99

richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
New 3D printer. Having fun.

Making them for my grandkids.
Attached Images

richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #2
older 37
Registered Users-pm+

older 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirate
Is it an expensive hobby ? would you do it again ?
older 37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #3
richg99
richg99

richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
Expensive is one thing to one guy, and something else to another.

The 3D printer cost $250. Various Filaments; a Filament drier (that may or may not be needed) was $80.00. I have 4 different rolls of filaments now. All are different colors and one roll is of a completely different type of filament to try out.

I've bought some odds and ends of tools and things that I may never need. I'd guess I've got another $200/300 into it now.

I am enjoying learning all the new things that are necessary to do good work.

If someone thought they'd make money with a small printer like mine (Ender 3-V2) I think they would have to come up with some product that would sell to a LOT of people. Even then, each item might take 3 hours or more (some take 20 hours) to produce, so quick production isn't going to happen with only one printer.

I am having a ball, and I wish I would have bought it earlier in my life. Yes, I'd do it again, in Spades.
richg99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
Aktx
Registered Users-pm+

Aktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAktx has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Very impressive. I too found cad/cam an absorbing hobby, I built a large 3 axis flat bed router. Quickly learned the work is in learning and using the design software. Those are some good lookin stylized Thinkers. No longer have a shop for the router, maybe Ill give your 3d printers a try. It will definitely exercise the ol brain....
Aktx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
Jerry713
Registered Users-pm+

Jerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to Pirate
I've been wanting to get into it. Keep talking myself out of it. There are ways to make a liitle money with them. You can create a design (requires some cad skills) then put it on site like thingyverse.com and people that don't have a 3D printer can order those items from you. Interesting hobby.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
Old sailor
Registered Users-pm+

Old sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to Pirate
I don't know much about 3d printers. Do you have to get a program of sorts to make something or can you just scan something to make it?
Old sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
richg99
richg99

Just print; design it yourseslf; scan...all of the above are possible.

The easiest thing to do is to go to Thingiverse and scan thousands of mostly free designs. Download one and print it in the size you want, with the filament that you want. That is what I did with the Thinker models.

Or, you can get any of many CAD programs, some free, some very costly, and learn how to design and produce an object. That is what I did with the fishing lure I put up here today.

Lastly, you can take 50 or 100 pictures of any object, and feed them into a program (Meshroom) is one of many. That program is supposed to make the model for you. I input 43 pix into it today. I have no idea how to get the model file out of it yet.

Off to the learning room, again...for this old codger.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #8
Old sailor
Registered Users-pm+

Old sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to Pirate
I've see a guy who prints handles for ice fishing rods. Some are solid and some are honeycombed.
Old sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
older 37
Registered Users-pm+

older 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirateolder 37 has been promoted to Pirate
At 84, this stuff is not in my pay grade, way over my head
older 37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #10
richg99
richg99

I'm 81. You only have a few years on me.