Bull reds at Cameron jetty - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Bull reds at Cameron jetty

Some friends, Damman and his pal Dustin towed The Mighty Red-Fin to the Cameron ferry ramp and we did a couple of days fishing for flounder reds and stingrays ?
One was caught and it put up a killer fight on light tackle. We used white bass class tackle and it took five minutes or more for most big fish.
12# mainline with 20# Fluor leaders. 6 to 7’rods and 4000 to 5000 class reels.
A whiting or croaker chunk for bait and fresh dead shrimp for flounder and baitfish along with gulp.
A cow nose about three and half feet top to tip.
Took a croaker chunk and really fought hard making a half dozen trips around the boat.
An assortment of reds, both bull and slots were caught, a few smaller ones kept.
15 sheepshead to 20”and 15 flounder to 21” were boxed for home.
We stayed two days and fished the south jetty boat cut mostly for the reds and sheepshead a bunch of puppy drum and assorted bait fish like croaker and whiting.
The flounder who were just starting to run were caught up the the channel a ways. Mostly makes 12 to 13”. But some females starting to show.
Name:  IMG_3283.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  184.8 KB
Name:  IMG_3284.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  202.2 KB
Name:  IMG_3287.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  222.9 KB
Name:  IMG_3288.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  242.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3285.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  173.5 KB
Great fun and I hope to go again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by shadslinger; 10-25-2019 at 10:03 PM.
shadslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
Takeemnow
Registered Users-pm+

Takeemnow is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadslinger View Post
Some friends Damman and his pal Dustin towed The Mighty Red-Fin to the Cameron ferry ramp and we did a couple of days fishing for flounder reds and stingrays ?
One was caught and it put up s killer fight on light tackle.
A cow nose about three and half feet top to tip.
An assortment of reds, both bull and slots big uglies and 15 flounder to 21”.
We stayed two days and fished the south jetty boat cut mostly for the reds and 15 sheepshead a bunch of puppy drum and assorted bait fish like croaker and whiting.
The flounder who were just starting to run were caught up the the channel a ways.
Lots of fun we kept a good box of reds sheepshead and flounder.Attachment 4458663
Attachment 4458665
Attachment 4458667
Attachment 4458669
Attachment 4458671
Great fun and I hope to go again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Awesome trip!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Takeemnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
mattfox
Registered Users-pm+

mattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Piratemattfox has been promoted to Pirate
Where is Cameron?
mattfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #4
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
I thought you were a freshwater guy? You've been putting a dent in the salt lately.

Croaker and whiting, huh? I could go for some croaker and whiting for dinner. It's been a long time since I've had either.

That's a nice bunch of fish, and some happy guys. I love the tail on that redfish in the bottom picture. No matter how many you've seen, it never gets old.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post
I thought you were a freshwater guy? You've been putting a dent in the salt lately.

Croaker and whiting, huh? I could go for some croaker and whiting for dinner. It's been a long time since I've had either.

That's a nice bunch of fish, and some happy guys. I love the tail on that redfish in the bottom picture. No matter how many you've seen, it never gets old.
Yes sir, one perfect round dot. That's a bull Redfish.
Yeah, I have been hankering to fish the salt more and more the older I get.
Bigfost taught me how to surf fish for the big bull reds a long time back and when I was younger I did it with as much passion as I had for duck hunting when I was even younger, lol!

And then guiding on Lake Livingston kept me busy, and still does, especially back when my son deckhanded for me, those were the days!
I am taking time to fish for what i want and when they are biting, that's setting in the catbird seat,
Surf fish has pretty much passed me by as it's too tough on my bones. But i figure it's time to get some salt on the MRF.
There some fishing I want to do there and I can only fish from a boat.

BTW Damman had the hot hand on the flounder, I can't wait to take him back for a rematch!
And hand's down the best food I ever ate were some whiting in foil after being gut, gilled and beheaded in some cooked on coals. No salt, pepper, butter, they were just a little wet.
My God they were awesome!
I had been on the beach catching trout and slot reds down by the fish pass on PINS.
I think being starving at the time had something to do with it.

Last edited by shadslinger; 10-25-2019 at 11:29 PM.
shadslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 11:28 PM   #6
tiberiuswade1
Registered Users-pm+

tiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfox View Post
Where is Cameron?
Louisiana

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
tiberiuswade1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Northern fisherman
Registered Users-pm+

Northern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Great trip now I’m jealous! Lots of work I’m sure to get there and make it happen but we’ll worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 09:08 PM   #8
Ducktracker
Registered Users-pm+

Ducktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to PirateDucktracker has been promoted to Pirate
Dang y’all did good. I guess I should of looked at 2cool before I text you. Great job

Good fishing to all!
Ducktracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
Gofish2day
Registered Users-pm+

Gofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to Pirate
That sounds like a great trip!
Thanks for the story and the pics.
Gofish2day is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message