2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

SUCCESSS...Wife's first Buck

3K views 33 replies 32 participants last post by  wadefish 
#1 ·
Well guys, I posted up last week asking for some well wishes for us this weekend as i tried to get my wife her first deer. Well, it only took a couple hours on Sat morning. Here is how it went down...

Fri night we were talking about the hunt. She has been with me on still hunts and spot-and-stalks and that is how she loves to hunt. She hates sitting in a blind. Well, i told her that our best bet was prob to sit in a blind. Both of us would rather not, but thats how we decided to start off. We only have one blind on the place, so thats where we went. It is up on a ridge that overlooks a mesquite flat and a bunch of oat fields. Right as it was light enought to see, i see 2 bucks, 1 nice one moving up from the oats into the mesquite. They were only abhout 40 yards form us and i couldnt get her on the fast enough for a shot. I thought that was our shot and we just blew it. As it got lighter however, i could see 4 good deer running does out in the distance...you gotta love the rut. All the deer are at least 400 yards away.

We watch for quite a while and then i see a good deer bed down with a doe on a fenceline along an oat field about 800 yards away. We decide to go after him. Now we are gonna get to do what we love...spot and stalk. We climb down, circle around down wind and follow around the base of hill to keep ouot of sight. We come up the hill, at the base of the hill so he cant see us for the fence. I get her set up on the fenceline, about 120 yards from the deer and we wait to see if he will get up. After a while he hasnt, so i ask if she wants to try a shot. We can only see his head, and half his neck. I have no questions about her shooting abilites (she is better than me) so we decide to go for the neck shot.

He never even twitched. Perfect shot, dead center of the neck at 120 yards. She was so excited she couldnt even stand up, and i was like a kid at x-mas. I was on top of the world. It was such a great experience for us as a family and I couldnt be more proud of my wife. It is such a blessing to share times like this in the outdoors together. It is something we will never forget. I have shot more deer to count in my life, but all of them come in a DISTANT second to helping her get her first.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Absolutely Awesome!!! I been waitin on this report all weekend!!!

I know how you feel....Nice Buck, Major Congrats to her.....and you!!!

Great story!!....Gear up..cause I think ya opened a large door...

Man, What a hunt and Huntress..
!!!! Heirloom Family Photos!!

chief

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.