2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Double Rifle Scope

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Johnboat 
#1 ·
OK, I just picked up my 470NE and took it to the range. It shoots good, but I think I can do better with a scope (I suck at open sights). It is a Merkle and is not drilled and tapped nor does it have a grove on the rib to us a claw type mount. Now what do I do?

#4 ·
Rine_Everett said:
I posted over on accurate forums to and I know he hangs out there as well. hehe.
Good move...
I don't know about drilling and tapping a Merkle...I would be nervous as having a family member getting heart surgery...I would want the BEST doctor around...

Hope ya show a pic..so I can drool...

chief

#6 ·
J.J. at Champlin Arms just did one for an Accurate Reloading member (NE 450 No 2). Not a Merkel or a .470, but the same idea. He was very pleased (you may have seen his post last night/this morning) about how happy he was that he had it scoped.

I would leave mine open sighted and try to get real close, but that raises the real risk of passing up a nice animal because of distance.

#7 ·
Like scoping a handgun

I know it can be done, but like Elmer Keith once said about scoping a handgun....why not then attach a stock, and sling and when your done, you will have a carbine...or something like that. For the price of getting it accomplished you can have a second scoped bolt action in 375 or 416...you probably already do. I have never had one so I am really ignorant...but Craig Boddington carried two rifles for his Buffalo DVD and shot a buff with each. Scoped bolt action and express sighted double. I think once you bring something big down in thick stuff on a foggy damp morning in Africa with the open sights, you will never forget it. Anyway, its your rifle. Just 2c.

#8 ·
Get in touch with George(830-379-3030) at Conetrol http://www.conetrol.com/
to see if he has a mount or will make you one, for the rib of your double.
If George doesn't already have something, I've got what I think would be a nice mount for a double, designed in my head and if you'll PM me a phone number, I'll share it with you. Then you can see what George will charge you to make it. Even with the premium for it being a custom base, the price shouldn't be that expensive.
With the base I'm thinking of, any competent gunsmith should be able to do the drill and tap work, to mount you a scope on that new double.

#9 ·
Thanks folks, I still havn't made up my mind as to what I want to do. I really would like to shoot it more than I can afford but you can't help but laugh when it goes BOOM. I laughed every time Sunday, it was a blast, by far the most fun I have had shooting since my pop died 2 years ago.

#12 ·
Double Rifle and Scope don't really go together. Maybe its just me but I would leave it alone, getting close is part of the game just like when you pick up a bow. 2nd on my list of dream hunts would be killing a buff at close range with a open sighted double gun, but 1st is a New Zealand stag with a bow which i will hopefully get in April.

#13 ·
Heres the flavor of a 470NE in Africa (Tanzania)

First image. tracker in front with shooting sticks. PH Joe O"Bannon in middle with his 470NE double carried African style by the barrel. Tracker in rear carries my Ruger 458 with XS ghost ring aperture sights.
Second image: Joe's 470NE double (a Rigby, I think) in the marsh buggy rack. A client left it to Joe in his Will.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.