2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Is there a decent scope for under $150.00??

7K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  BEER4BAIT 
#1 ·
Im looking to rescope my Mini-14 .223 Ranch Rifle. I do not want to spend a whole lot on it (its not the most accurate rifle anyway). Do you have any suggestions on a budget 3-9 x 40???

#3 ·
Simmons, Buris, Redfield,
this is the first place I googled:
http://www.scopesnmore.com/riflescopes4less/rifle/simmons_rifle_scopes.htm

Cart

[font=Arial;]¬[/font]Nikon Rifle Scopes | SNM Policy | Home | Contact Us | Tasco Rifle Scopes®
SIMMONS PROHUNTER SCOPES
Simmons Aetec Master | Simmons ProHunter & Pro50 Master | Simmons ProDiamond Master

If you're in the market for a Simmons ProHunter Scope, then you've come to the right place. Built to withstand the determination of big-game hunters, ProHunter optics are dependable, regardless of the elements. They boast a special coating to enhance light transmission and increase target definition in low-light conditions. Also, these products are waterproof, shockproof, and fogproof, to handle the toughest environment you can subject them to. For the price, its hard to find a better built scope.

If you don't find the particular model you're looking for below, send an email to SNMAdmin@cableone.net. We'll be glad to check price and availability.

Simmons ProHunter & Pro50 Scopes

More Simmons ProHunter Info | More Manufacturer's Links

2005 ProHunter Master & Pro50 Master Scopes - More Information
511608 Simmons ProHunter 4X32 AO Airgun Scope, TT, Truplex, Matte Black
$86.99 Purchase
511613 Simmons ProHunter 4-12X40 Airgun Scope, SF, TT, Truplex, Matte
$129.99 Purchase
517700 Simmons Scopes, ProHunter 2-7X32 WA, Truplex Reticle, Matte
$88.99 Purchase
517710 Simmons Scopes, ProHunter 2-7X32 WA, Truplex Ret, Silver Matte
$99.99 Purchase
517702 Simmons Scopes, ProHunter 3-9X40 WA, Illuminated Truplex, Matte
$129.99 Purchase
517711 Simmons Scopes, ProHunter 3-9X40 WA, Truplex Ret, Matte Black
$99.99 Purchase
517712 Simmons Scopes, ProHunter 3-9X40 WA, Truplex Ret, Gloss Black
$99.99 Purchase
517716 Simmons Scopes, ProHunter 4-12X40 SF, TT, Truplex, Matte Black
$143.99 Purchase
517721 Simmons Scopes, ProHunter 6-18X40 SF, Truplex Ret, Matte
$154.99 Purchase
517722 Simmons Scopes, ProHunter 6-18X40 SF, Truplex, Target-Grey
$154.99 Purchase
511044 Simmons Rifle Scopes, ProHunter 3-10X44 WA, Truplex, Matte Black
$141.99 Purchase
511045 Simmons Rifle Scopes, ProHunter 4-12X44 WA, SF, Truplex, Matte
$167.99 Purchase
511050 Simmons Rifle Scope, ProHunter 4-12X44 WA, Smart Diamond, Matte
$178.99 Purchase
511047 Simmons Rifle Scope, ProHunter 6-21X44, SF, Truplex, Matte Black
$178.99 Purchase
511048 Simmons Rifle Scopes, ProHunter 6-21X44, SF, TT, Truplex, Matte
$178.99 Purchase
511056 Simmons Rifle Scopes, ProHunter 6-21X44, SF, TT, MilDot, Matte Blk
$178.99 Purchase
517703 Simmons Rifle Scopes, ProHunter 6-24X44, SF, MilDot, Matte Black
$184.99 Purchase

Looking for Simmons ProHunter Handgun Scopes ? They're just a click away.Looking for
Express Delivery
Options ?

Just Click

At Checkout!

Simmons Aetec Master | Simmons ProHunter & Pro50 Master | Simmons ProDiamond Master

[font=Arial;]¬[/font]Nikon Rifle Scopes | SNM Policy | Home | Contact Us | Tasco Rifle Scopes®[/B]

John

#4 ·
There are a lot of scopes for under $150.00 that will work very nicely on a .223. It doesn't have the recoil shock the big calibers do, so even scopes made by BSA will work. I have a BSA 6-24X50 Mil Dot Target model on my 17HMR and so glad I got it. It is a great scope for that rifle. Would put it on my 300WSM, but I'm not worried about the low recoil of the 17HMR.

#6 ·
Ranch Rifle

1. How bout a used Leupold. They have a lifetime guarantee and there are always some available at gun shows. Since everybody is wanting huge objectives and matte finish, I notice that gloss finish 3.5 x 10 x 42 are very available.

2. On accuracy. You can send the trigger assembly to www.greatwestgunsmithing.com and for about 50 bucks they will take the trigger from the factory 5.5 lbs to a little over 3 lbs.

#7 ·
Mini 14

I have owned Mini-14's for 30 years and the biggest problem about scope is the mounts. Most of the older models have to use a B-square scope mount. These will lossen up after a while. It is hard to keep the scope zeroed in. Are the newer models drilled and tapped? If not you would be better off getting a peep sightto replace the factory v-notch rear sight. Mini-14's aren't usually accurate for very long distances for most parts.

#8 ·
brownie said:
I have owned Mini-14's for 30 years and the biggest problem about scope is the mounts. Most of the older models have to use a B-square scope mount. These will lossen up after a while. It is hard to keep the scope zeroed in. Are the newer models drilled and tapped? If not you would be better off getting a peep sightto replace the factory v-notch rear sight. Mini-14's aren't usually accurate for very long distances for most parts.
Im gonna upgrade to higher quality scope rings, hopefully it will help out the problem you mention.

#9 ·
I bought a BSA air rifle specific scope and haven't been tremendously impressed, but I also got screwed on the scope from a local gun dealer...I should have done my homework first.

I think a simmons might be a good bet, like some others have said here. I've had a simmons 3-10X44 on a .243 for 12 years or so, and it's been a good scope, especially for the price, which was around $135.

#11 ·
When I am looking for something like that I usually check SWFA's Sample List. I picked up a decent scope for my daughter there. Be sure to shop around, because some people say they can buy new for less than the Sample List price. That has not been my experience, but I have not tried all of the retailers. There is another post down the board about looking for a specific Leupold. Many retailers are mentioned including The Optic Zone and Bear Basin. I have never purchased from them but they seem to enjoy a good reputation. If you are careful there is always eBay.

#15 ·
Its out of you range but I have a Simmons 44 mag it is a 6-20x44 on my 223 and I havn't had to adjust it in years of being abused. I got it for 200 several years ago. You might look to see what they have now. They might have a 3-9 in your price range. When you look get the best light gathering and clearest glass that fits your budget.

#16 ·
Mini's are the most inaccurate rifle I have ever owned. Sighting one in is like polishing a turd, no matter how much spit and polish you use it still won't get shinny!LOL

Don't bother with spending the "most you have allowed" in your budget. It won't make that much of a difference. No adays scopes are better, all around than 10-20 years ago. Burris, Nikon, Simmons, even upper end, Bushnell, will work as well as Leupold, Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, ect. at most ranges and conditions we hunt in here, and for what you need. IMO. Leupold is an over priced brand,IMO. For the money the Nikon line is a wonderful scope and has better light transmission and pick up than does the Leupolds. But a $99 burris will work just fine.

I would just get a red dot scope a just shoot till you hit it, thas what the 20 rnd mags are for,LOL!

#17 ·
i bought a bsa cats eye with iluminated retical for 149.00 plus tax i just made a 150 yard shot of the deer of a life timei i also killed a hog at 75 yards a couple of weeks ago---i killed 2 other bucks a couple of years ago one 75 yards other 50 yards--i love my scope-- i think if u see what i have u may decide to go fer it--3x10x44 iluminated retical--fog proof shock proof--works good lasts long time-- gotta getch ya one

#18 ·
Ive got a Swift 5 x 12 on my .22-250 and Ill swear it has similar low light capability as the Nikon Monarch on my new 300 Win Mag. Bought it at one of, if not the last Gibsons left on the planet which is located right here in Kerrville for $138.00 plus tax.

#20 ·
A post above mentioned the double recoil toasting a cheaper scope, I"ve seen it done to Leupys too on the AR platform. From the bolt slamming forward.

If you go cheap, don't expect it to last forever.

I"ve got a test scope TAsco for my AR load testing, its been through the ringer but its getting close to dieing after a fair amount of rounds. I use a Leupy 4-12 on another AR test bed platform for testing barrel accuracy before putting a new barrel on a gun, so far so good with it.

Jeff

#24 ·
green coming

thanks

Charles Helm said:
When I am looking for something like that I usually check SWFA's Sample List. I picked up a decent scope for my daughter there. Be sure to shop around, because some people say they can buy new for less than the Sample List price. That has not been my experience, but I have not tried all of the retailers. There is another post down the board about looking for a specific Leupold. Many retailers are mentioned including The Optic Zone and Bear Basin. I have never purchased from them but they seem to enjoy a good reputation. If you are careful there is always eBay.

#25 ·
troutslayer said:
Nikon has one advertised in the Academy paper 3x9x40 for $149.00....I dont own a Nikon scope but their b-noks are great
Been very satisfied with my Nikon 3X9X50 Buckmaster (This ran me more than $150, I think it's a different line than the one advertised at Academy...I assume quality is similar across lines). Also had a nikon SLR film camera for 25 years. They do a good job on optics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.