2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

New four wheeler?

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  01milburnsc 
#1 ·
New four wheeler?Im stuck between the 700 sportsman,brute force and grizzly.Some input on durability,problems etc would be nice.I will put this thing through !@!# on a regular basis

#7 ·
Here's some different input, do you really need the 700? I really don't see the advantage of the bigger machines, they weigh more and burn more gas for no real performance increase over a 500. The smaller machines are easier to get unstuck, easier to turn around in really thick stuff and go just as fast. A friend recently got a Honda Rubicon 500 and we've loaded the thing down with him and me (@ 400 pounds) and another 300 pounds of corn with no performance problems. Top end of 55MPH so far (it's only got 11 hours on it so it's still got some breaking in to do) and just sips the fuel. We've burned maybe 5 or 6 gallons and driven it a little over 110 miles so far. Just a different viewpoint to consider but if I was buying a new machine, I'd get this one. It's not as technologically advanced as the Yamaha but rides a whole lot better than the old Hondas and Honda is virtually indestructible. I just can't see getting the bigger machine since I can't see a reason to need to go over 55 on a 4 wheeler and I think that the better manuverability (sp?) in tight quarters of the smaller bikes is a huge benefit.

That said, Yamaha and Honda both make great machines. If you want the big bike, I think the Yamaha is a little better. The Rincon transmission isn't quite as strong but as was pointed out, the belt drive can be a real problem if you're going to be running it in water.

#8 ·
Check out the can-ams.......my dad just bought the new yamaha grizzly and my brother bought the new can-am, they just got back from colorado and needless to say my dad is ****** he didn't spend the extra 600$ to get the can-am, he said "its a far superior machine"

#12 ·

I have a Grizzly. Thing is a monster. It knocks down big trees and brush. Fast, mine does 70mph. I put my 400 lb bro on the back with corn bags also and no problem. Ok my brother isn't 400 lbs, he actually weighs 395. Had no problems with mine since I bought it in 2002.

#15 ·
Stumpgrinder said:
70 mph on a 4 wheeler !!!! Not me , not ever.
Stump that's not too bad, I have a three wheeler that will run about 75mph.

As far as the new four wheeler goes, I bought a 2005 Sportsman 400 last year and for the first 6 months it gave me hell. Now though it runs great, alittle underpowered with the lift and oversized tires, but it does what I need it to do. If I had to buy another I would aleast buy a 500cc, Honda or Polaris.

#16 ·
I know a couple guys who have the Yamaha Grizzleys and they have not been bad. I looked at them real hard when i bought my last ATV.

Most of the guys I hunt with have Hondas and they have been great. I have a Rincon and I really like it. The advice on the Rubicon is solid. That is a heck of a machine. For proven simplicity and durability a plain jane Honda Foreman 500 is tough to beat.

#17 ·
buddy of mine bought the rincon last year and has nothing but hell w/ it... 2 other guys have grizzlies and one loves it/the other bought a King Quad lets his friends ride the Grizz cause he loves the KQ... Another buddy has a Brute Force and loves the looks buts wishes it was more capable(he also loves the KQ)... I personally have a Vinson 500 Manual that does 63MPH and pulls my Dodge Hemi out of the mud.... I would say save a lil money for upgrades and go w/ the midrange displacement bikes.

Although the EFI bikes have advantages, it cost more to repair also. There are alot of people who can still work on a naturally aspirated ATV's for cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.