2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

hunting with cows

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Third Coast Fishing 
#1 ·
my lease owner sub leased half of my property for grazing rights for about 10 head of cattle on 50 acres, the fence was breached and the cattle got on the other side. went hunting this weekend and did not see any deer or hogs at all, do cattle run them off? i did see about 4 bulls around my feeder in the early morning, a few of the bulls are pretty aggressive. i think i am about to cancel my lease because of this what do you think?

#2 ·
I personally think the deer do not like to be around cattle but I also think that you can put up some pens and salvage your hunting lease. One thing I do know is that if you have patties around your feeder move them the deer will not eat around the poop.Maybe you can buy a bail of alfalfa and through it out where the cows won't hurt anyone.Good luck in whatever you do.

#3 ·
no cows don't bother deer we have 12 on 300ac the deer are used to em being around. sometimes it helps your deer hunting those cows go tromping thru the brush and jump the deer and make em move. I would rather have no cows but if its a good lease i wouldn't give it up because of a few cow's!

#4 ·
You are saying cows do not bother the deer but in the same statement you say the cows make them move? We have had cattle on our ranch for 10 years and if they come around the deer leave your feeder. In my opinion on my ranch the cattle bother the deer. We also have @100 on 2000 acres.

#5 ·
i've been hunting on lease with cows for 4 years now. the rancher moves them around from time to time. seems the deer are stand offish until the cows move on. they usually graze on through. i have went in in the morning to have cows bedded down at the base of the hill and deer bedded further up under trees and in the feeder pens but once cows start moving deer will leave till all clear. when i knw that the cows are in my pasture i will buy a sack of range cubes,( definitely cheaper than hay these days) and pour it down the trail near where i park my truck. it gives me time to slip past and usually they won't follow and hang out.

hope this helps

also a good built feeder pen and staking down the feeder should be a must to keep it from being knocked over

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.