2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Pigs, Pigs, Pigs!

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  shadslinger 
#1 ·
Don't go by the date and time shown in the pics. These were taken either Tuesday or Wednesday of this week (and I have about another 30 or so showing basically the same thing!). I had no idea my place had so many pigs! I am surprised and excited! I've never killed me one of them before. This year I could kill me a dozen!

By the way, the feeder was knocked over by a cow.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
notoj said:
An SKS with a 30 round clip would come in awfully handy on your net trip to that feeder at dusk...............
Anytime I read about someone suggesting this type of ****, I'm going to speak up.....Animals do NOT deserve this!!!!!!!!

Shooting into a sounder of hogs with a semi-auto, crippling, gut shooting, maiming and leaving them to go off and die is NOT HUNTING....Makes me sick to think someone would really do this....SICK.
.....................................................................................
Warcat...Traps are the most effective way of taking down the population (besides Hunting with Dogs)....Night hunting is good ..but it disrupts the deer and has a negative effect..

Gonna have to hog proof those feeders or the deer will never see a kernal of corn.....
If its about Deer for you...you have problems....If its about Hogs....looks like Hog heaven!!
Good luck and safe hunting!!!

Good Pics...sent ya a greenie..........

chief

#11 · (Edited)
chiefcharlie said:
Anytime I read about someone suggesting this type of ****, I'm going to speak up.....Animals do NOT deserve this!!!!!!!!

Shooting into a sounder of hogs with a semi-auto, crippling, gut shooting, maiming and leaving them to go off and die is NOT HUNTING....Makes me sick to think someone would really do this....SICK.
.....................................................................................
Warcat...Traps are the most effective way of taking down the population (besides Hunting with Dogs)....Night hunting is good ..but it disrupts the deer and has a negative effect..

Gonna have to hog proof those feeders or the deer will never see a kernal of corn.....
If its about Deer for you...you have problems....If its about Hogs....looks like Hog heaven!!
Good luck and safe hunting!!!

Good Pics...sent ya a greenie..........

chief
I'm not going to be shooting into the pile. I'd prefer a clean shot at one, and then, I'd imagine that not all would run off, so I'd let my buddy take one that's still standing. We'd do this over a few weekends.
I was planning on using a 30/30 (w/ 170 gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets) for this, and aiming for the ear or just behind the eye. Like I said, I've never killed a pig before, so I don't know if that's a good round/ aiming point. Let me know. I also have a .270.

#12 ·
either one will do...good luck!! Post up!!!.....We have found that when they get gun/trap shy....Horse and mule (Sweet feed) mixed with corn 50/50 helps to bring them back quicker...as opposed to the sour or flavored corn.....They don't see very well...but their hearing and smell abilities are very keen...

Chief

#14 ·
warcat said:
I'm not going to be shooting into the pile. I'd prefer a clean shot at one, and then, I'd imagine that not all would run off, so I'd let my buddy take one that's still standing. We'd do this over a few weekends.
I was planning on using a 30/30 (w/ 170 gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets) for this, and aiming for the ear or just behind the eye. Like I said, I've never killed a pig before, so I don't know if that's a good round/ aiming point. Let me know. I also have a .270.
At the base of the ear or right behind it also works well. Good Luck!!!

#16 ·
Sweet

warcat said:
You said it. I love my Marlin 30/30 with the 170 Remy Core-lokt bullets ... and yes I aim right for the ear.

I'm sure the Lever gun was made for hog hunting. I've chased & tracked many hogs on foot with my Marlin and took them down. The only hard part is typically I'm so far from the ranch road that they are hard to get back to camp to clean and butcher.

I'm saving my dollars for a Marlin .35 or a 45/70.

#17 ·
ZenDaddy said:
You said it. I love my Marlin 30/30 with the 170 Remy Core-lokt bullets ... and yes I aim right for the ear.

I'm sure the Lever gun was made for hog hunting. I've chased & tracked many hogs on foot with my Marlin and took them down. The only hard part is typically I'm so far from the ranch road that they are hard to get back to camp to clean and butcher.

I'm saving my dollars for a Marlin .35 or a 45/70.
I've got the Marlin also. I've haven't killed anything with it yet (aside from some targets), but I would imagine it would pack quite a bit of knock down power at 100 yards or less. I'm pretty sure the hog won't runoff with a 30/30 round in its ear/ head.

#19 ·
At least you have plenty of advice on what to do, most of it pretty sound. Shoot them behind the ear, or after the first one goes down and the confusion starts shoot for the lungs. When you do catch them at the feeder during daylight hours set yourself up with follow up shots before you shoot, like your playing pool. It will most likey be the last time you will see them during daylight for quite a while. Look for hogs during the day when it's very cold and over cast. The best day is when it's 35 degrees, it's been raining most of the day but stops in the afternoon. Field dress the hog as soon as possible, and skin it as soon as possible. Once the hide is off they have very little oder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.