2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

First and second deer

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  twdjr 
#1 · (Edited)
This axis buck is my youngest son's first deer, and then today we went out and got his first whitetail. After getting the axis, he was so excited and running 90 miles a minute telling everyone who would listen about his hunt. Then today as we were on the way to the meat locker, he mentioned that he wants to be sure to tell everyone that this is his second deer (he's an experienced hunter now!!). There is nothing like taking these little guys/gals out and seeing their patience and shooting practices pay off. It is well worth the time and effort!

On the whitetail, I took off from work early to make sure we didn't get out to late and spook the deer while they were out and moving. We got out to the blind around 4:30 or so, and within 15 minutes had this buck. When he shot the deer jumped and arched his back, and I thought uh-oh, as the deer proceeded to take off over the little ridge. I got up on the breakover of the ridge and scanned the other side to make sure the deer hadn't taken off, but I didn't see any movement. After retracing the point of impact and not finding any blood I began to doubt the shot and we began to start scanning in grids to see if we could find any sign of where the deer to off to. After searching the waist-high grass for about 10 minutes, my wife mentioned that she thought she heard a thud. We decided to walk the edge of the gully. After 30 seconds or so, we stumbled upon the buck much to the surprise of everyone.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·

Just look at his face, he's hooked. Great job and awsome buck for 1st deer. Taking my 7 year old daughter out this week for an evening hunt in the blind. Hope she likes it, she really wants to go. I'll post later on hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.