2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Public land

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  saltyh20 
#1 ·
I'm going to hunt some public land this weekend and was wondering if anyone has had any good luck w/ whitetail or hogs? I'm not looking for a secret spot just public land stories, good or bad experiences.

#2 ·
You might want to put the general area your going....

National Forest is very different than some south Texas property....

John

#4 ·
Been hunting National Forest for 4 years. Limited every year. Until this year opening weekend, I never saw another hunter in the woods while hunting. Feel very safe where my family and I hunt. Even take my 3 yr old son, this year for his first trip. My 12 year old daughter went last year with me, but since we both fell asleep we didn't have much luck on her first deer. This year will be the one.
Yes, wear orange for sure. Scouting and stalking is the key to a successful hunt on public land. Try to get in shap before, though, you need to go where no one else is to find where the deer are hiding. They are in the thick pine stands close to the hardwoods and water source. But away from everyone else who only want to walk 1/4 of a mile off the road. But always remember the deeper you go the longer the pull is coming out with an extra 75-150 lbs. Also learn to use a compass and navigate while scouting. Be safe, have fun, amd make memories..

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, sorry I wasn't more specific. We are thinking of going to Sam Houston, but might end up a little north of there to avoid the crowd if it is bad. We planned on stalking unless we find a really nice clearing back in to hold up and watch for a while. I grew up hunting in Washington and did a little in Alaska too, so hauling game a few miles out is the norm for me.

#6 ·
Ok, that helps a lot. I think in Texas public lands areas Sam Houston has the most hunter accidents. Be very careful. I would think of going to Sabine or Angelina N.F. I personally will never go the Sam Houston again during any hunting season. But that is my opinion. Again be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.