2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Buffleheads in the spread! 11/16/06

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Bull Minnow 
#1 ·
Took my wife's uncle for a quick shoot this morning in Hockley. Ended the morning with a weird strap of ducks. 3 buffleheads, 2 whistlers, 2 ringnecks and 1 spooney. We left around 7:15 so we could make it to the office. Excuse the darkness of the pics. I took the pic in the Building Parking garage. Great Morning to be alive!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Buffies and tree ducks on the same straps, that don't happen all too often!

The buffies are pretty birds and make great mounts. But, I no longer let people in my group shoot them unless they are headed for a taxidermist. To say them suckers like their skin is an understatement! And the only thing that tastes worse is a merganser. This is coming from a guy who has no problem eating jacks and bills, too. I just got tired of seeing people throw them away because all of the meat ripped apart when attempting to skin them.

Good lookin drakes - and made me think how sweet a multi bird buffie mount would look! :D Wish I could come across a few whistlers, too.

#6 ·
3 Drakes in one flight. Absolutely no hens. Amazing. My wife's uncle wants to mount them. Not sure if he will take all 3 in one mount. Unless we start the donation box.
They (at least 1) are definitely going on the wall. Whistlers were the 1st birds down. I figured they would be long gone with this cold wind.

#7 ·
What is a jack?
capn said:
Buffies and tree ducks on the same straps, that don't happen all too often!

The buffies are pretty birds and make great mounts. But, I no longer let people in my group shoot them unless they are headed for a taxidermist. To say them suckers like their skin is an understatement! And the only thing that tastes worse is a merganser. This is coming from a guy who has no problem eating jacks and bills, too. I just got tired of seeing people throw them away because all of the meat ripped apart when attempting to skin them.

Good lookin drakes - and made me think how sweet a multi bird buffie mount would look! :D Wish I could come across a few whistlers, too.

#12 ·
triple f said:
That is the common referral to them in Louisiana, and by some of the short bus riders here in Tx.:wink:
Definitely a short bus rider here! :D Yup, jacks are ringnecked ducks. I ain't crazy about em by no stretch of the imagination, but they are ok fried or gumboed. Kinda tough to skin though. I actually think bluebills get a bad wrap and are pretty good eating, especially the bigger greaters.

Bull Minnow, a three drake mount would be SWEET. Especially when the three birds all came in together. Stick em in the freezer and start saving! ;)

#15 ·
I am definitely known for shooting all of the above.
I have some pictures that may look familiar to you then.

4thbreakQuote:
Originally Posted by Bull Minnow
4TH break, Did you hunt with Paradise??

I wasnt with Paradise, but Paradise hunted it as well I think. We use to have that big flat on the left of Hegar against the road and the big reservoir along side it. It wasnt a bad place if you liked shooting spoonies, ringnecks, and bluebills.:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.