2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Question about buying a handheld GPS

868 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gager2002 
#1 ·
I need a little advice from the collective, please.

I'm considering buying a handheld GPS unit to use on our property marking road, trails, rubs, blinds/structures and elevations etc.

I's like to download this type of data to my PC and couple it with a topographical maping program that I bot from Maptech, and make some maps for hunting and habitat management.

I was talking to a sales person @ Gander Mountain, and they have a Garmin eTrex Vista that includes the Topo CD and a PC cable for $250. The PC cable has an interface is a 9-pin and not a USB, there is an adapter that I can buy but I'm not sure how well this thing will work.

The alternative is to buy the Garmin 60CSX for almost double the price ($480).

Any advice, either from practicle experience or hearsay/research would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have the Etrex Legend. It works great for me, just not as much details as I would like, but gets the job done. Gets a good signal in the national forest, most of the time. I didn't get the cd so you may be able to get better details with that. I paid $139. and got the GPS, the cable, and a case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.