2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

I might have messed up!

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Bucksnort 
#1 ·
Have you ever passed a buck up and then thought to yourself that maybe you shouldn't have passed on him. Well, that happened to me last weekend. I passed an 11 point that would push 150. He was standing broadside at 75 yards and I had a dead rest. I just think he was a little young, probably 3 1/2. I got to talking with some other people that I hunt with and got the impression that they will shoot the deer if they see it. Maybe I should not have passed on him. I really do not know what I will do when I see him again. I've always gone by the theory that when you see the deer that you should shoot you will know it. But this place is not like other places I've hunted in Mexico and South Texas, where you could pass up a deer and expect him to make it to next year. Well, I know he will get harder to pass on as the end of the season nears.

The Professor

#2 ·
I have passed some I should have taken and taken some I should have passed. On balance, I prefer to err on the side of passing them. It sounds like the real issue is whether your goals for age of bucks are shared by your fellow hunters. If you told them where he was and what he looks like, then someone will likely try to take him if they can and their management goals allow it.

#6 ·
If the group is not all on the same mangement page you might have to find a new book !!!

You made the right choice.

John

#7 ·
Yeah, I think I made the right choice, and I am sure I will pass on him again. I guess its human nature to second guess yourself and I'm just trying to justify my decision. This place is unique. I don't even know everyone that may have an opportunity to shoot this deer. But, then again I don't pay anything to go there so I can't complain. I would like to see him next year, if he makes it. He will be nice.

#10 ·
Charles Helm said:
I have passed some I should have taken and taken some I should have passed. On balance, I prefer to err on the side of passing them. It sounds like the real issue is whether your goals for age of bucks are shared by your fellow hunters. If you told them where he was and what he looks like, then someone will likely try to take him if they can and their management goals allow it.
My thoughts exactly.

If I knew how to give a greenie, you'd get one on that. Consider yourself greenied.

#12 ·
Just a little perspective:

Every time I have passed a deer originally because I didn't think he met the standard (includes age or score), and then later changed my mind....I was disappointed in myself.

Every time I have passed a deer originally because I didn't think he met the standard (includes age or score), and somebody else shot him....I was disappointed in them. But, had the satisfaction that I could have killed the deer, but, I did the right thing.

Every time I have passed a deer originally because I didn't think he met the standard (includes age or score), and somebody across the fence shot him....I was ********!!

Every time I have passed a deer originally because I didn't think he met the standard (includes age or score), and I or somebody else got him in a subsequent year as a bigger more mature deer....I was thrilled.

Just some thought sto ponder and possibly apply to your situation.

#14 ·
I don't know you, but I take it from your post you have done some huniting in some good places. That being the case, if you had doubts you probably did the right thing.

If you want a monster, you can't shoot the first decent one that steps out.

That being said, I am not all that fond of tag soup, if you know what I mean.

#15 ·
Hey bud, sounds like they can call you a Hunter and not a Killer. Feel good about passing it up...but I know where you are coming from. I've been around hunters(killers) before that you knew you were just better off not telling anyone about the deer...and thats a really hard thing to do around a campfire. BTW,Good points PR. helluva lot better post than that dead squirrel on the curb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.