2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Sighting in a deer rifle

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  redduck 
#1 · (Edited)
Is it better to be dead on at 100 or 2 inches high at 100 and dead on at 200? I shoot a 280 automatic remington, 150 grain...I sighted in at 200 which according to the ballistics should put me at 2 inches high at 100 and about 3 inches low at 300....seems like a good spot to be. Just wondering what others thought?

#4 ·
That sounds good to me too. But like others have said, definately make sure you shoot your gun at those distances to make sure the ballistics are correct. That is roughly the same numbers as my .308 shooting 150 grain bullets. With my gun zeroed in at 200 yards it hits about 2.25 inches high at 100 yards and about 4 - 4.5 inches low at 300 yards. This is a gun that i use to take long shots and i am comfortable shooting it out to 300 yards in good conditions. I wouldn't take a shoot that long in high winds or from an unstable rest.

#5 ·
Sighting in your rifle to be dead-on at 200yds. is just fine if you think you will get an occasional shot at that distance. If your shots are never more than 100 to 125 yds, I would sight it in at 100 yds and be done with it! Just go to a range and shoot at both distances to see where the bullet is impacting at those ranges whatever you sight it in for
By the way, a .280 Remington is a fine deer cartridge for any and all reasonable ranges! Sounds like you know your limitations (300 yd. shot max) and I am glad to see someone realize that a 300 yd. shot is "iffy" at best for 90% of the hunters out there!
I think your 200 yd. zero is where it should be!

#6 ·
I always liked to sight in about 1" high at 100 yards so I will be about 1 " low at 200. This tightens the circle at most of my shooting ranges. I rarely get shots at 300 yards. When I do I raise the cross hairs up a little. This works with targets, I have never killed a deer at 300 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.