2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Another "input or help" question on extended package hunts

979 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  thefishingmusician 
#1 ·
This is not an ad to sell package hunts, but hopefully points to consider on the following idea.
We've been hired to to see if the following idea would work:

A ranch property that is high fenced and is MLD, so the known mature bucks are and will be accurate.
1. Offer "X" number of package hunts, currently estimated to be 3. Each package would be for 3 days, with 4 hunts during the October-Feb season. So a total of 12 hunting days spread out over 4 hunts totaling 12 days for each of the 3 packages.
2. Lodging would be provided, but meals would not be offered, so cooking would be done by the hunters. The ranch owners would do a big BBQ one of the days any of the group was there.
3. Limit would be 1 mature buck of the hunters choosing, equal number of does per hunt package as required, hogs as seen, and maybe turkey. Cull/management bucks seem to be the main question mark, how to equallly divide those bucks if it is determined that those bucks should be a part of the package.
4. Ranch owners will hunt mature bucks as well, but the main guarantee is that there will be enough mature bucks for everyone, package hunters and ranch owners to realistically have a great chance to take a mature buck. There is a a good number of 150-160 bucks and several that next year that will be in that score range as well, so there would be bucks in the 150-170 class next year.
5. Package hunters can bring immediate family, however, all kills are fom the package total. One guest per package hunter per trip.
6. Rut times of December 15th-31st or so is open to each package hunter for all 12 days if they wish to concentrate on that time frame only.
7. Cost would be consistant within the market price of a 150+ B&C south Texas buck. $4,500-$5,000 or so for the total package.
8. It would not be a lease, but an extended package hunt, that would alleviate some of the pressure of having only 2,3, or 4 days to take a buck, and allow the hunters to relax and truly have something to look forward to if not successful on the first couple of hunts. Being a package hunt, there would be certain things controlled by the ranch owners, but the hunting aspects listed above would be the goal.The owners would like to develop a relationship that builds trust and respect on the ranch, and give the hunters more opportunities to hunt.

That's the basic idea, we've not gone any further than basically this so far, but we know that folks here can come up with suggestions, ideas, thoughts, problems, etc, as well as critique the idea as a whole.
Not really looking for comments about being high fenced, but if there is something about high fenced hunting that would impact this idea, we would like to hear about it.
We would appreciate any comments, good or bad, as if this turns out to be a bad idea, it's better to see problems ahead of time than after the idea is launched.
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Am I understanding that $4500 gets you 12 days of hunting spread out over 4 trips during the the specified time period? Not sure about the guests - that could get sticky. Landowner should be able to shoot anything he/she wants, but they probably should set aside a part of the ranch where only they can hunt, or have some blackout dates for other hunters.

#3 ·
I 2nd Soap on the blackout areas/times. I wouldn't be the happiest if I were on one of my weekends and the owners son was roaming around on a 4 wheeler while I'm hunting the middle part of the day during the rut. Other than that...I think it's a very attractive concept and could see someone taking them up on this several years in a row.

How big is the property?

Cameron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.