2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Rut In Rocksprings

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  shallowminded 
#1 ·
I hunt 20 mile west of rocksprings, off 377, and was wondering if anyone has noticed if the rut has started yet... Any hunters in the area with any info?

#2 ·
Rut

I hunt 27 mi. NW of Rocksprings on Hy 55. As of Tuesday, very little rutting activity. The bucks are still in bachelor groups, but are getting irrated with each other. Young bucks going through the motions. I have a buddy going up Friday, should have a good report on Sunday. Regardless, I will be there Tuesday! Good Luck.
BB

#5 ·
I had 5 different bucks run right into a herd of bedded goats Monday morning in Junction after opening weekend because 2 of the rams were doing a Rocky Mountain Sheep impression... raring up on their hind legs and butting heads. First time I have ever seen that... at first I thought this was 2cool when the first one showed up... then they kept on coming...LOL Seems the bucks are more ready than the does.

#7 ·
NW80 said:
Dude, its too early. Give it another week or so. That area always "ruts" at aboutthe same time (ie. 11/20 - 12/5)
agreed.

The Bucks were chasing doe's 2 weeks ago on openning day at the ranch--all swoll up and the smaller bucks were hangin' but not the big boys--They were on a mission!!
Horns should work good this weekend!!

Mountain Home / Rocksprings area.

agreed that too!

Wish I could go! I haven't been since the bow opener. Can't wait...

J

#8 ·
I had no idea that TPWD had a pamphlet that describes when the Whitetail rut usually occurs through out Texas - but the infor mation is out there.
Mine is based on observation alone.
Starting aroud North Texas and heading south on weekly intervals:
North Texas - 11/10
Hill Country - 11/18-20
Uvalde - 12/5-12/10
Mid - South Texas - 12/15
Deep South Texas - 12/20
Mule Deer in the Trans Pecos - 12/20 -12/25

All of this is subject to change based on the amount of rainfall in the fall and late summer ( ie. more clouds = less daylight = earlier estrous for the does ) not entirely the coolness of the weather.

#10 ·
rut

We have been managing our ranch for 23 years, 27 mi. NW of Rocksprings. For several years, we went through the trouble to measure fetuses from does killed in January. Our peak of the rut is Dec. 7. That is not to say rutting activity is at its peak Dec 7, just the actual breeding. By Thanksgiving week, horn rattling works great at our place. Will be there Tuesday. Good luck to all.
BB

#11 ·
The rut is starting to kick off here and should continue to get better through the end of next weekend, then it will likely continue through mid Dec at a slower pace and there are still a very few deer chasing does well into January as well as late October. I hunted this morning till 7:45 and saw a little 6 point pestering a doe in a bad kind of way.

#18 ·
BigBuck said:
We have been managing our ranch for 23 years, 27 mi. NW of Rocksprings. For several years, we went through the trouble to measure fetuses from does killed in January. Our peak of the rut is Dec. 7. That is not to say rutting activity is at its peak Dec 7, just the actual breeding. By Thanksgiving week, horn rattling works great at our place. Will be there Tuesday. Good luck to all.
BB
Good information. Thanks.

#21 ·
Got him at 6:45 AM this morning, Ill try to post some pics on Monday along with a pile of ducks that we hopefully get tomorrow morning from the Jourdanton area. 10 point green scored right at 130, now that Ive got the deer out of the way I can concentrate on my true outdoor love "WATERFOWLING"!!!!!!! I saw 15 bucks this morning and they were running the does hard. The rut is definately on in Kerr County!!!

#22 ·
I hunt south of Rock Spings and as of this past weekend no sign of the rut. Bucks are still in Bachelor groups. Traditionally they start getting a little more serious starting around Thanksgiving and things heat up going through the 1st week of December. I break out my rattling horns starting Thanksgiving weekend. I can't wait for this weekend!

#23 ·
White Trash,

The rut started this last weekend. We hunt 20 miles West on 377 the same as you. We observed several mature bucks running with the does. We also saw several fawns alone at the feeders without their mamas. When driving back on Sunday we saw two very large bucks behind the high fences that were following does. They had smaller bucks following them.
We go back this Friday morning to hunt for 7 to 8 days. This is when we get our game faces on. We did not take a buck on this trip because we are trying to manage our place and will only take culls or really mature deer.

Good luck on your trip out. Send some pictures when you get the one that you are looking for.

Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.