2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Hunting West Texas

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  NW80 
#1 ·
Gonna be headed west in a few weeks, kinda new to the mule deer thing, anyone have any good advice on bagging a decent deer?

#3 ·
Just keep looking at the same place on a Hilltop, or Bluff with some good Binoculars. They seem to appear out of nowhere.

If you find one, there are usually a few more around.

Also, hunt the east side of a mountain in the AM. Mule deer will seek out dew on leaves and such for water. Hunt in the flatlands during the day if the wind happens to lay.

And anything you know about hunting Whitetails does not apply to hunting for Mule Deer.

Any Trans-Pecos Mule Deer is a Trophy...No matter if it's a 3x3 or 6x6...

If you have a High Seat truck, that's a big plus too. You can cover more area and glass that way.

Will you be hunting above, or below Highway 90?

I always had better luck in the Langtry/Sanderson/Pumpville area below 90.

They say Mule Deer are only found west of the Pecos River.

The Sky in that part of Texas has amazing Starlight. Hopefully the Marfa Lights will be active and you can witness the Aurora Borealis of Texas.

#4 ·
Pay attention to the flat country in general. Mosy people spend the lionshare of the time looking in the "big,pretty,high" country. Yeah, you'll see more deer in general "up there", but the REALLY big deer tend to hang in the lower flat country.
Also in all the years I've hunted them I don't seem to see deer until after sunup. Kind of a weird observation.
Wher are you hunting?

#6 ·
The Marfa Lihgts are a "snipe hunt".
I know too many people who grew up in Alpine and Marfa and they'll tell you the same thing.
Don't shoot young deer!
People don't realize that Mule Deer don't sexually mature, in general, until they arte 2.5 yrs old. Hence, you will see groups of 5 or multiples of that number if the fawn crop was good.
What you see is an old doe, her twins from last year( 1.5 yr old doe and fork horn buck) and her fawns from this year.
You can age them on the hoof just like Whitetails.
Don't shoot a young looking 5x5 that is thin horned and narrow - generally that's a 2.5 yr old.
Unfortunately, there are too many 4x4's( like typical 8pt Whitetails) - if worse comes to worse - shoot them. Do the overall genetics a favor.

I managed a ranch in Jeff Davis and Culberson counties for 4 years.

#9 ·
Stay away from El Cheapo liqour in Marfa. That explains the marfa lights and the sign on the highway from TxDOT that says "Night time only", the ear piercing boutique that says "Ears pierced while you wait" although I didn't know they had a drop off for that kind of thing and many other wierd things that happen in West Texas.

Honesty, if its warm 1) check every draw like you are looking for your last nickel, 2)dont drive more than 3 miles per hour or you will miss deer, 3) get out and walk draws, stalk as much as you can. If it's cold see steps 1-3.

#11 ·
NW80 said:
"SA" you're on target!
Also, remember that Mule Deer will lay down and let you walk within a few feet of them if they think they're hidden!
I like to take a predator call with me and when they get bedded up in those draws, I slip in there and start blowing that call AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE!
I mean make it sound like holy terror! They will get up to see what the heck all that noise is about...I have had them get up from hidden locations on hillsides 300-400 yards away, that I would have never seen otherwise. Try it, I promise you it works! Good luck and look them over with your binoculars BEFORE you aim your gun at them. This will help you keep from shooting a young/small buck. Most mule deer will give you plenty of time for a shot, so take your time to judge the deer for age.

#12 ·
A company called " Elk,inc" has a Mule Deer call believe it or not that immitates either a fawn in distress or a doe bleat. I bought one a few years ago and still can't believe how well it works.
I've called deer off of a ridge, does looking for a fight, but most importantly the bucks with them stood up to see where the girls were going.
I think the website is Elkinc.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.