2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

eating blackbuck

2K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  BIGGEN98 
#1 ·
may have the opportunity to take a BB doe this weekend.

worth eathing?
worth having it mounted?

Thanks

#10 ·
well - I was told we could go inside the game fence and take a BB doe at the ranch we'll be at. can't be hard to find em on 500 acres can it? :D

any tips for getting a shot? land owner said they are quick and you have to get off a shot quick when you see them.

#12 ·
speckle-catcher said:
well - .............. can't be hard to find em on 500 acres can it? :D.............
It'll probably be a lot harder than you think. 500 acres is quite a good size place and blackbucks are not known to stand around an stare at passing vehicles. They are a pretty jumpy animal.

Don't let these guys kid you. As far as eating them, IMO, Axis is about the only thing I've eaten that I like better. It's kind of a cross between Axis and whitetail. Just has a sweeter taste and smell than whitetail. I absolutely love them. And the only one's I've ever eaten where mature rams.

#13 ·
gander - I don't know exactly...Sutton County near Sonora is the best I can say.

Contractor invited a few of us from the office. we gotta draw straws to see who can take a trophy buck, the rest of get to take a cull buck.

also a WT or axis doe, hogs, and a turkey. varmints if we see'um and a blackbuck doe (is that the correct term for a female?) if we can get a shot off at one.

I'm looking forward to this weekend.

They are raising BB, fallow deer and oryx to hopefully sell hunts in the future, so we might see them too...but I ain't breakin out the checkbook for one of them :D

#15 ·
it is not easy even in a 500 acres. They have good eyesight and are very smart. I was sneaking up on a big buck and he was by himself and he never looked up and somehow he saw us at 240 yards. The wind was in our favor and i know he didn't hear us. They are amazing little critters.
Cody

#16 ·
speckle-catcher said:
may have the opportunity to take a BB doe this weekend.

worth eathing?
worth having it mounted?

Thanks
Cut a inch thick steak out of the center of the hindquarter, grill till very rare. No seasonings required.
If anything tastes better than that, I ain't found it yet.

A running BB is the hardest to hit animal I've ever shot at. They can jump higher than anything I've seen yet and they don't need a running start to hit max altitude.
What really makes them so hard to hit is when they are running, suddenly stop and go vertical 8 to 10ft a few times, then start running again. They tend to repeat this unexpectedly, so you don't know whether to aim in front of or above the BB.
Standing still or walking, they ain't any harder to hit than a same size whitetail.

#21 ·
Bb

I prefer black buck to axis. I know, everyone says axis is better, but I have had both several times, I prefer blackbuck. And, we killed and cooked them ourselves, so it was not just preparation. Also, there is a great mexican food joint in Sonara. Can't remember the name, but it is across the road and a little toward I-10 in the strip center. I will make it there at least one night next week! i only eat at the steakhouse on Sundays, they have a buffet.
Good luck.
BB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.