2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Need some advise on a new Bow purchase

4K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  justletmein 
#1 ·
It's been over 10 years since I've done any bow hunting. I still have my old PSE, but was having problems with the timing of the cams getting out of whack and throwing me off when shooting broadheads so I want a new bow for a fresh start. I haven't kept up on all the new stuff so not really sure what to look for, other than I remember that the single cam bows were coming out long ago and I was going to buy one of them so I don't ever have to worry about the timing getting off again. I have plenty of time because I won't be making a purchase until April or so, so if you have any looong articles for me to read I'm all for it. If it matters, I'm 6'1" and about 240 lbs and the main target would be south Texas deer.

#2 ·
Have not shot one but I'm reading a lot of great reviews on the Mathews Switch Back.

John

#5 ·
These are my favorites; Hoyt, Matthews, BowTec, Martin, PSE. All are good solid bows and will shoot arrows in the same hole at 20 yards when shot from a machine. You probably have a pretty long draw length so that may be a factor in selection. Shoot as many as you can and pick the one that is the quietest and has the smoothest draw cycle for your draw length and weight.

#10 ·
I am a traditional archer, but in the last year I have helped three guys from work and one daughter buy bows.

I think all the manufacturers make a good product. I don't remember much negative about any one brand, so a lot comes down to personal preferance.

We went and shot all the major brands from the 400 dollar range up to 800. My personal opinion is that the Mathews was the smoothest and the most comfortable to shoot...forgiving. The Bowtech was faster, and had a rep for a little more high performance but a little less forgiving.

The Hoyt and PSE were okay, but I liked the other two better. They did cost more. Two of the guys I helped bought the Mathews, I don't know if the other guy ever made a purchase or not. I got my daughters both Bowtechs, mostly because they were more adjustable. Mathews draw length is one size. Not a problem for you, it sounds like you are fully grown :)

If I were buying a compound for myself, I would get one of the Mathews models. This infor is a year old. Go to the shops and shoot them for yourself. What feels the best to you is the right choice. The most important thing is to get the bow and get back out there!

#11 ·
You need to go shoot some. With todays technology, all the big name bows are quality gear, you probably won't be disappointed with whatever you end up with. Something was mentioned about you possibly having a long draw, if that's the case I have a little story for you. I am 6'3" probably a little longer draw than you (full length uncut arrows), two years ago there were only a handful of bows on the market that I could shoot, I found that the "hottest" models may not be so hot for the long draw archer, some were quite sloppy feeling. I finally settled on a Martin, it was not the most expensive nor the one that got the ravest reviews, but it is what shot and FELT best to me at the time. I love it and it kills deer. I've been shooting for 25 years and the most important aspect is not speed or how it looks (most are pretty dang fast these days), it NEEDS to be quiet and fit YOU like a glove. Good luck in your search.

Tony

#12 ·
I just bought a new Switchback XT.......750.00 is only gonna get you the bow. By the time I had mine set up it was about 1250.00 w/ a dozen arrows. I shot just about everything on the market before shooting the Mathews. I did not want to buy it because of the brand, but because I really felt it was the best bow. Here are my thoughts on the ones that are in the same price range:

PSE Mach X.....shot decent, but lots of forward momentum when released. Almost felt like the bow was gonna jump out of your hand.

BOwtech (numerous models): If you go with a lower-end bow, look hard at some of the Bowtech models, they shoot very nice. The high-end, Mathews comparable model was a little quicker, not as smooth, and not as forgiving.

Hoyt Trykon: Solid bow, again, not as forgiving or smooth, and about as quick.

Kodiak Outdoors Titan: This bow is 50.00-100.00 less than the Mathews, and I almost bought it instead. For the money, this is a kick-***** bow and has everything you could ask for...smooth, quiet, fast, forgiving, etc. You can shoot them at Sportsmans Warehouse, among other places.

So after shooting all these I went and shot the Mathews. I shot it twice and told the guy "sold".....there's that much of a difference. Do yourself a favor and shoot as many different models as you can between now and purchase....you'll know when you've found the right one! Hope this helps

#15 ·
I'm gonna buy a new bow this spring and my problem will be just the opposite of yours. I've got a very short draw length. In fact, that is the only reason I'm buying a new bow. I currently shoot a 13 year old Pearson Spoiler that I have to short string to get to a reasonably comfortable length shooting a release. The problem is with it short stringed I still can't shoot with a string loop and I can only sqeeze 58# out of it.

Having said all that, it's pretty danged quiet and I've killed three deer already this year. All died within 60 yards and were complete pass throughs.

Don't pay as much attention to brands (assuming it reputable) and hype, and get what you feel most comfortable with. Quiet forgiving comfort is much more important than speed.

Just 2 cents ..

#16 ·
I shoot a SwitchBack and I would not shoot any thing else. I have owned and shot Hoyts, Parkers and PSE. I always take a Mathews to the woods. This is my 10th season shooting a Mathews.

There is a new bow on the market called Evotek. I have shot some of them and my buddy shoots for them. Phil Phillips left Mathews and went to Evotek. They make a fine bow. Here is the link:
www.evotekbows.com

#17 ·
check out huntersfriend.com. I bought a bow from them and it was shooting perfect out of the case. They have some great close out deals and are really good people. If you want info about bows there site is chock full. Here are there package deals link http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowpkg2.htm Check out the Kodiak bows. By the way I bought a Hoyt from them. It was a real small tree stand bow. Whatever you do, get the wiskerbiscuit.

#21 ·
The best advice you can get has already been given. Go to a local pro shop and shoot as many bows as you can. Get the one that fits you the best. You don't have to pay that much attention to name brands. You can kill a deer just as easy with a older model bow as you can with a newer model bow. If you want my .02, I used to shoot a Mathews F\X. I just recently went to the Hoyt Trykon. The bow is just as fast as the Switchback. I just wanted to try something newer. The only problem that I have ever had with Mathews was there customer service. Other than that, it was a great bow for me. Just make sure that you are comfortable with what you get and you should be fine. Good luck

#22 ·
Instead of buying by brand, I would go to a good archery shop that has an indoor range, and pull a few back with different bows. Then make your choice.

I personally have a Matthew's Outback. The bow has been great for me. I looked at upgrading to the Switchback, but found that the Switchback seemed to be somewhat loud when you are pulling back, so I stayed with what I had.

I know guys that shoot all the other bows listed in this thread and they love them. There are a bunch of good bows out there, you just need to find the one that appeals to you the most.

#24 ·
Well thanks for all the advise everyone, really appreciated. I was kinda hoping yall would come to a consensus and narrow it down, but looks like I've got my work cut out for me. I'll start shooting as many as I can, starting with the Bowtech models and the Switchback XT, gotta shoot the Hoyts (reflex?) also I suppose. Something tells me I'm gonna have a sore shooting arm. LOL

#25 ·
Alright, couple of questions as I'm just scratching the surface on all these things.
1) Doesn't look like Bowtech makes a single cam bow, correct?
2) Nobody mentioned Browning, should I add them to the black list?
3) Is this package a good start for a re-beginner?
4) I saw a reference to a biscuit rest. Are there any other thoughts on this?

#26 ·
To be honest I have a PSE Maruader2 that shots darts at 285fps no cam only an overdraw......one sight pin to 40 yards

Let me know if you would like more info...

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.