2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Would you shoot this one

3K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  Soapeddler 
#1 ·
I know that this is not a very big deer IMO but do you think that it is a cull. I am not the greatest at judging deer. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hard to tell from the angle, but the deer looks to be a little older. Look at the neck into the brisket/chest as well as the hind quarters very developed. Sway back, pot belly but that could be the angle. I would say this deer is 5.5 or older mainframe 8 point at that age. it's a shooter cull. Short tines for the angle.

#12 ·
Buck

Sorry, but I am going to disagree with most on this one. His legs appear long, and his belly goes up at his flanks. It is a bad angle, but I would guess 3.5. If he does not have brow tines he should go. Otherwise, I would wait for a better look or pass another year. My .02
BB

#13 ·
Rack Ranch said:
I'm gonna say the deer is 3.5 and the position he's standing in makes his age deceiving..mo ..walker
That is a tough pic to age from, but look at the "waddle" on the chest, and the loose skin under the mouth. That coupled with what looks like a sway back and what looks like grey hair around the neck, I would say that is an old buck. Probably older that 5 1/2. Again, one pic that is not a great pic is difficult to tell. Try and get him on video.

#24 ·
While he is a cull on a managed place - older buck - he would be the best deer I've ever taken. He would definitely be at least a European mount if not a shoulder mount.

The trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. The eyes of this beholder is sayin that dude's a goin on the wall.

#25 ·
He appears to be a mature rake tine buck, My Wife freted and worried for 2 years over one like him. His tines never grew longer and was her 1st pistol Deer.
Glad she did it. JMO.
Good luck in what ever you decide.

chief

#26 ·
Pac, I now believe in shoot no buck before his time.

I used to look for any excuse to shoot a buck also, people like shootin bucks, but after a lot of years doing that I've changed. I like the idea of having a larger portion of the buck herd over 4 1/2. Interesting stuff starts happening to a deer antlers after 7 1/2 if they don't get culled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.