2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Concerning Winchester Firearms

960 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Trouthunter 
#1 ·
#4 ·
It's a crying shame that US manufacturers can't or won't listen to their customers and they get knocked out by foreign (often government subsidized) companies. Winchester, Remington, etc... are driven by stockholders to reduce costs and their quality suffers. Next, buyers go elsewhere and they have to close their doors. Ruger is holding on by the skin of their teeth. Savage made a turnaround. Remington is struggling. Browning is no more than a purchased 'US' name for European/Asian manufacturers. Beretta will soon own the sporting arms market.

#5 ·
Sandman has it right. Winchester COMPLETELY missed the boat about twenty years ago when it absolutlely refused to listen to its potential customers.
The Cowboy Action Shooting craze was just beginning to take off then.
Many many people(including me) contacted Winchester and asked them to bring back the 1873 Winchester rifle and carbine for this market. I recieved a letter curtly informing me to shut up and buy a cruddy 1894 Angle Eject. Not a single Old West cowpoke EVER saw an 1894! No one in the CAS crowd wanted them.
The long range rifle shooters asked them to bring back the 1886 and 1895 rifles, which they eventually did(in small numbers). Good grief.
The Italians filled the market with all manner of Old West style firearms and have sold millions. Heck, even Colt listened and has kept the Single Action Army in production.

#6 ·
The main thing that happened to Winchester was that litigation due to frivilous law suits filed by anti-gun folks was costing them too much money. They had to re-tool and put safety mechanisms in their weapons the results of a law suit, blah blah blah.

And was Moonpie stated, they missed the boat on the Cowboy Action craze but I think they did because they couldn't bring up the capital to re-tool for making the older model rifles.

In any case, it's a shame. S&W is another who has suffered in the liberal courts.

Shame that.

TH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.