2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Pennsylvania deer

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  kmarv 
#1 ·
Just got these pictures from my brother up in PA. This is how they can grow up north, no feeders, no fences, no food plots. The hunters rode 5 miles on ATVs deep into state game lands. They had seen a lot of signs of big deer in this area, but this is the only time they saw this one. It was taken with a bow. I don't know from how far, age, or score of the deer. Enjoy

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Syncerus said:
Small, ordinary deer. Certainly they have tons of 'em, but most of them are hardly trophies.
Why the animosity, Sync?

I never said every deer in PA was like this. Yes, there are many average deer there. But every year, there are also quite a few trophies taken. The difference is they are not "engineered". They are natural deer. It makes a trophy exciting, not expected.

6mile, No my brother didn't shoot it. One of his coworkers did.

#9 ·
Rig'd UP said:
Just got these pictures from my brother up in PA. This is how they can grow up north, no feeders, no fences, no food plots. The hunters rode 5 miles on ATVs deep into state game lands. They had seen a lot of signs of big deer in this area, but this is the only time they saw this one. It was taken with a bow. I don't know from how far, age, or score of the deer. Enjoy
Notice he said they were able to access the area by ATV. Texas outlawed the use of ATV'S on state property back in the late 80's therefore making access to remote parts of the Thicket to dayhunt impossible. They also outlawed camping except in "Designated" camping areas only.

We used to start cutting trails in Early Summer, into the far Thicket between Rayburn, and Toledo Bend. It is an area known as the Moore Plantation. We would also set up campsites close, or on creeks to have water to clean up, and shoot a few ducks in the evening.

We would find Hardwood stands, and set up tree blinds around them Also, we would try to find a clear cut that was less than a year old, because the deer loved to eat those mushrooms that would sprout in early fall after the cold front rains.

Now,being that you can only walk in these area's now has made it impossible to hunt 95% of the "Public" Hunting areas. If you shoot a Big Buck, it's impossible to drag it out for miles. Unless you have a strong cold front, it's going to be spoiled before you can get the deer to an area to transport.And it's not like you can drag an ice chest with a Hundred pounds of ice into the Thicket.

That was real hunting to me...And we killed some Bucks that would rival many deer off the South Texas Ranches, or some of these deer farms.

I remeber getting a handheld GPS, and thought it was the Holy Grail. Before then we had a compass, and some kind of homemaid trail marker.

I must have been pretty mad at those deer to go though all of that just to have a chance at a good buck.

But, it only cost 25.00 for 300,000 acres to hunt on too.

#10 ·
No animosity; I'm sorry if my comments came across that way. Sometimes the keyboard is unkind in translation.

It was a beautiful deer. My only obseration was that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Certainly PA has a huge deer herd and every year outstanding bucks are taken. My point was that the deer in the picture was exceptional by any standards.

I meant no offence.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.